The Student Room Group

Transfering university

Hi guys,

I’m in a bit of a dilema lol. I study at a particular university which isn’t by far a russle group lol. I’m achieving firsts, and i think i’m heading to a first for my overall year grade. However, i’m unsure as to whether to transfer to a better university (a loooot better than the one i’m currently studying at). Everyone’s either telling me the uni doesn’t matter, it’s all about the grades! Or, it is in fact about the uni and they’d rather settle for a 2:1 in a good uni than a 1st in a bad. I’m conflicted, thoughts?!
Original post by rm_27
Hi guys,

I’m in a bit of a dilema lol. I study at a particular university which isn’t by far a russle group lol. I’m achieving firsts, and i think i’m heading to a first for my overall year grade. However, i’m unsure as to whether to transfer to a better university (a loooot better than the one i’m currently studying at). Everyone’s either telling me the uni doesn’t matter, it’s all about the grades! Or, it is in fact about the uni and they’d rather settle for a 2:1 in a good uni than a 1st in a bad. I’m conflicted, thoughts?!

What uni are you currently at? And which Uni's are you thinking to transfer to?

And yes you can apply for advanced entry to most Uni's as long as you meet the requirements (mainly be based of A Levels). But Advanced Entry is extremely competitive as Unis do prefer students coming straight out of A Levels but is definitely possible. And yes the Uni does matter, as someone who studies a degree at say UCL has a better chance of getting employed than someone who went to MET. But the grade still does heavily matter!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by rm_27
Hi guys,

You can apply elsewhere without committing to leave your current course.

Have a read of the first post of the stickied Transfer FAQ thread at the top of the Applications and UCAS forum. It explains what you need to do.
At the end of the day it's up to you but if I were you I would consider it and look at other universities and email them explaining your situation. I hated my university I was at, it was lousy, unorganised and a joke to be honest and I am going somewhere else in September which is a lot more prestigious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending