The Student Room Group

Terribly poor teachers.... stressing SO much...

I attend a prestigious school. I’ve been lucky to have amazing teachers for Y7-10 and overall consider myself lucky to have an education. I know there are people in worse situations.

However...

This year (11) standards have slipped loads. Other people in my classes say the same. It’s got so bad that hardly anyone is going to sixth form and loads are leaving to other colleges in the county.

I want to go into Medicine and so obviously need good GCSEs to a certain extent. The main worry is that I’ll be done out of a chance to meet my potential truly.

I’ve been easing myself into starting revision, but you can’t even call it ‘revision’ because there are loads and loads of gaps in my knowledge (and my peers) due to spec changes and just simply not being taught. Having to self teach and the workload is huge. Feeling very demotivated and concerned :s-smilie:

Please read through my quick summaries of all the CORE subjects and see what you think:

Teacher A: Misses every one in three lessons because of ‘family commitments’. Fails to engage the class and never marks books when they are there. Calls everybody ‘complacent’.

Teacher B: Turns up late (by 10/15 minutes) to each lesson and finds it amusing. Likes to go with the flow and not really do much changes mind frequently about what to teach halfway through delivering material.

Teacher C: Wonderful and very inspiring. Taken a new job and therefore won’t see us through our exams. We now have no teacher.

Teacher D: Heavily sarcastic and thinks all teenagers are the same. Bit judgemental and is the sort to say ‘wait for the real world if you think it’s bad now’. Delivers their lessons out of an open textbook. We asked him the other day what the edexcel definition of ‘health’ was, to which he replied ‘I don’t know off the top of my head’...

Teacher E: Very strong accent and so the class switch off as can’t hear what is being said. Leading to shouting from E, and the vicious cycle continues. E prints off old exam questions and match up sheets and gives them to students to complete without delivering anything themselves.

Teacher F: Experienced teacher who realised the specification is now harder, and instead of familiarising himself, he teaches his subject at a much higher and harder level. Gets frustrated and increases in volume when students don’t get it or can’t answer questions. Lets students run riot and sit, eat and do what they want. Leave lesson with a headache. Announced they were leaving on THURSDAY with one weeks advance notice. Again leaving us without anyone.

Teacher G: Very lovely and one of the ones to give students hope. Great at their subject and delivering it. Inconsistent and mood-swingy in terms of opinions and moods don’t know where you stand. Get the feel they don’t like seeing everybody demoralised.

As people they are all very nice and great characters, but a combination of them to teach us feels like it’s not working very well. I’m not looking for perfection but just have no clue what to do. Some others do feel the same. Don’t know if and who with to raise it or whether just to not bother - I’ve not got long left and don’t want to be know as a moaner.

Genuinely just feeling at a loss for what to do. More than anything, the chaos and shambles of it all is dragging me down. Advice? Anyone in the same boat? Does anyone think this situ is particularly unfortunate for Y11 or am I overreacting?
Reply 1
Wow,
What subjects do you take
If you have a genuine concern about your teachers and others feel the same, speak to your head of year and see if it's possible to move classes or they might get a new teacher if one isn't doing their job. I would suggest moving but there isn't much time left so I don't know if it would be worth it
Reply 3
Original post by Bobsingh
Wow,
What subjects do you take

All the usual. Maths, English, all the sciences and History etc
Reply 4
Plz say you don't do languages

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending