Bngtnlml
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can I and should I drop art in year 10? I do love art, and I'm not bad at all, the teacher expects a lot from me. That's one of the problems, though, she has expectations that are too high for me. I can't enjoy art anymore once there's a constant nagging voice that says I'm being graded for everything.

Honestly I'm just so tired of it, on top of everything it really doesn't make me happy at all, it just makes me depressed. I had to change the topic of my art and what's it's based off of because my dad keeps saying I'm obsessed with kpop. My dad usually makes me very angry for multiple reasons and it makes me want to give up on art even more. My mood can easily be ruined and art is one of the worst subjects that I couldve picked.

Also, my bestfriend doesn't want me to change it since I'm in the same class as her. I'm not sure what to do but I'm certain that I don't want to do art anymore. Could I change it for another subject, like music?
NMauger96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would do what makes you happy. Don’t stay in the class just because your friend wants you to - you’ll see her a break/lunch and maybe other lessons too.

If you enjoy art but your not getting any enjoyment out of the course then consider switching/dropping it - my friend dropped out of her art course at uni as she didn’t like being away from her family but that bad experience has put her off art when it was her favourite hobby before.

Try talking to your tutor at school or any teacher you trust and feel like you can talk to as it’s a relatively big decision and they’ll know you better than anyone on here.
If you are feeling depressed and that your mood changes quickly as well as having issues at home try talking to a teacher you trust, your tutor or pastoral care. You shouldn’t be feeling like this and it may be easier to fix than you think. If not letting someone else know helps (trust me!!) - you won’t be alone and it can set the wheels in motion for helping you.
Maybe talk to a friend first and ask them to go with you or talk on your behalf to a teacher if you think that may help - the hardest bit is telling someone in the first place but it should get easier after that.

Please talk to someone about how you’re feeling and that ou wish to drop art! Even if you just show your post to someone rather than explain it outright
Areena.A.W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bngtnlml)
Can I and should I drop art in year 10? I do love art, and I'm not bad at all, the teacher expects a lot from me. That's one of the problems, though, she has expectations that are too high for me. I can't enjoy art anymore once there's a constant nagging voice that says I'm being graded for everything.

Honestly I'm just so tired of it, on top of everything it really doesn't make me happy at all, it just makes me depressed. I had to change the topic of my art and what's it's based off of because my dad keeps saying I'm obsessed with kpop. My dad usually makes me very angry for multiple reasons and it makes me want to give up on art even more. My mood can easily be ruined and art is one of the worst subjects that I couldve picked.

Also, my bestfriend doesn't want me to change it since I'm in the same class as her. I'm not sure what to do but I'm certain that I don't want to do art anymore. Could I change it for another subject, like music?
heyy
us gonna have to change it with a subject going on at the same time of art. n btw its gonna b hard to change cause what where like in the middle of the school year n thats all that time n effort wasted.
only change it if u wanna n don't let ur friend or dad manipulate ur decisions cause at the end of the day, its ur life if u know what I mean
aaminah03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is it possible to change a subject near the end of year 10?
euphrosynay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it's definitely possible to drop art in year 10. art is a stressful subject, even for those who've enjoyed it throughout the course. it may be something to consider if art has stopped making you happy. projects can become very time-consuming, especially when going into year 11, and if you'd rather spend your time doing other study, it may be good to change.

also, don't feel pressured to stay in art because your best friend wants you to. it may be hard to leave, but in the end, it's your individual work that will be submitted and marked. you can always see them in other classes or outside of class itself, and you'll be even better company when you're happy and less stressed

if you're seriously considering music gcse, it would be advisable to talk to someone in your music department as soon as possible. there is some coursework involved that you'll have to spend time on: you'll have done 2 performances and 2 compositions by the end of the course. you can ask for guidance on what to think about before you start this coursework, and about anything else in the music course. it's not easy, but if you want to take it, there shouldn't be anything stopping you!
Areena.A.W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I really doubt that u can change cause I'm in yr 11 now, n my school gave us a 2 week period if we wanted to change our mind
plus u will have to proper fight for it and be dedicated to the subject u switched to
good luck
xxxx
NMauger96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got the impression that Bngtnlml was in Yr9 and wanting to drop the subject for Yr11.

If that not the case then I think it may be too late to swap although you may be able to drop it if you then agree to independent study on other classes in those free periods.
Best thing to do is talk to a teacher and work something out together.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.94%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
26.97%
Not great so far... (281)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.34%

Watched Threads