The Student Room Group

Plagiarism concerns, worried sick.

Yesterday I’ve checked my turn it in similarity for my diss and it came out as 31%. Checked the breakdowns and the highest is 2% from a journal article which i correctly referenced. However as I read along I realise I’ve forgot to in-text cite a couple of sentences which i paraphrased from another author and it was completely unintentional. I know they will investigate this because of the high similarity, and I might get an email soon, im seriously worried sick and havnt been able to sleep nor eat for the past few days and my finals are coming up too.

Question is, do you think I should email my diss tutor and inform him about this problem beforehand? Or should I just wait until the uni contacts me??

Im really about to throw up again, having extreme anxiety because of this!!

Scroll to see replies

Tell them, seems less suss that way
Moved to University Life
Reply 3
bump pls help
Original post by LTY0502
bump pls help

you are unlikely, but may get called into a hearing where you will be given the opportunity to defend yourself. your argument sounds like it will stack up.
Reply 5
Maybe arrange an appointment with your tutor to explain it this way, it is always better to mention things like this beforehand
Do you have evidence they'd investigate this sort of thing? As honestly when I was at Uni a turnitin saying around 30% similar, but only 2% from any single source, wasn't something strong enough for some major claim of plagiarism by the university. Though maybe if that 31% doesn't include the referencing at the end (since that always gives a load of false positives) it might be a bigger issue.

Contact them if you like, but you might be over worrying...
Reply 7
thank you for suggestions. I will email him by tomorrow however i bet theyre on Easter holiday!

Im just conflicted as i obviously dont wanna draw attention to it if i mention it they will look for it; but if i don’t tell him beforehand it seems i like im suspicious ( or maybe they’ll think i just havnt checked the similarity report!?) ugh i dont know but im having extreme anxiety to the point that i cant sleep
Original post by LTY0502
thank you for suggestions. I will email him by tomorrow however i bet theyre on Easter holiday!

Im just conflicted as i obviously dont wanna draw attention to it if i mention it they will look for it; but if i don’t tell him beforehand it seems i like im suspicious ( or maybe they’ll think i just havnt checked the similarity report!?) ugh i dont know but im having extreme anxiety to the point that i cant sleep

I never get more then 7-10 percent..........
Reply 9
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I never get more then 7-10 percent..........

well this is not helping
Original post by LTY0502
well this is not helping

Would using this post as evidence not be a terrible idea? aha
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AnimusInRobore
Why not use this thread as evidence? If you were trying to hide it then you just would not give a damn.

It making a random internet thread counted as 'evidence' everyone would make fake ones.

OP I would just come clean and explain you forgot to include a references but have just noticed. At worst you should get a minor mark reduction if you don't have any prior problems.
Reply 12
Original post by doodle_333
It making a random internet thread counted as 'evidence' everyone would make fake ones.

OP I would just come clean and explain you forgot to include a references but have just noticed. At worst you should get a minor mark reduction if you don't have any prior problems.

thanks for your reply, although i’m still feeling nauscious and dizzy just by thinking about it and the thought of not graduating has taken over my life right now. I think it would be best to email my supervisor who’s going to mark my diss first, i don’t mind marks being deducted but hopefully i won’t get a 0. that’s all i hope for.
Original post by LTY0502
thanks for your reply, although i’m still feeling nauscious and dizzy just by thinking about it and the thought of not graduating has taken over my life right now. I think it would be best to email my supervisor who’s going to mark my diss first, i don’t mind marks being deducted but hopefully i won’t get a 0. that’s all i hope for.

Generally if you're a good student people will understand a mistake happened and honestly if you've noticed it that's only a good thing! It shows it wasn't intentional (because you came clean) and it shows you understand how the referencing should work.

I once forgot to submit my assignment on time. Don't ask me how. I'd written it up and it wasn't even super late notice but I had some plans and it just totally blanked in my mind. I had a huge panic attack and was in floods of tears thinking that my degree was over... I emailed my lecturer and then ran to the uni to catch them in person, they literally didn't care, just reopened submissions. I got 85% and no deductions.

The moral is - wait and see! 99% this will not have a huge impact on your degree, providing you pass you will still be able to get a good grade overall.
Reply 14
Original post by joey11223
Do you have evidence they'd investigate this sort of thing? As honestly when I was at Uni a turnitin saying around 30% similar, but only 2% from any single source, wasn't something strong enough for some major claim of plagiarism by the university. Though maybe if that 31% doesn't include the referencing at the end (since that always gives a load of false positives) it might be a bigger issue.

Contact them if you like, but you might be over worrying...

no one has emailed me yet or notify me, but its just me panicking and having severe anxiety attacks everyday after checking the turn it in thing... im so worried that i can’t sleep properly at night and feels like someones strangling me in my dreams.. i just hope i won’g get a 0 for my diss just because of my careless mistake that i shouldn’t have made, i can’t carrry on with life without a degree.
Original post by LTY0502
Yesterday I’ve checked my turn it in similarity for my diss and it came out as 31%. Checked the breakdowns and the highest is 2% from a journal article which i correctly referenced. However as I read along I realise I’ve forgot to in-text cite a couple of sentences which i paraphrased from another author and it was completely unintentional. I know they will investigate this because of the high similarity, and I might get an email soon, im seriously worried sick and havnt been able to sleep nor eat for the past few days and my finals are coming up too.

Question is, do you think I should email my diss tutor and inform him about this problem beforehand? Or should I just wait until the uni contacts me??

Im really about to throw up again, having extreme anxiety because of this!!

Your actual percentage is actually fine, but it's the fact you didn't cite properly which is the main issue. Getting 31% with perfect references and citations is not a problem, but in your case it will be. It's not clear what your uni will do, but please try not to worry too much. You can't change anything now.
Original post by LTY0502
no one has emailed me yet or notify me, but its just me panicking and having severe anxiety attacks everyday after checking the turn it in thing... im so worried that i can’t sleep properly at night and feels like someones strangling me in my dreams.. i just hope i won’g get a 0 for my diss just because of my careless mistake that i shouldn’t have made, i can’t carrry on with life without a degree.

if you're that worried I'd ask your dissertation supervisor, if it isn't a problem it's fine, if it was going to be one you asking before they come to you looks better on you anyway.
Reply 17
Original post by DrawTheLine
Your actual percentage is actually fine, but it's the fact you didn't cite properly which is the main issue. Getting 31% with perfect references and citations is not a problem, but in your case it will be. It's not clear what your uni will do, but please try not to worry too much. You can't change anything now.

thank you i know i messed up and its completely my careless fault. I am just blaming myself to the point i don’t have any appetite because of worrying and regretting - don’t have the mood to revise for exams either so im screwed really
Original post by LTY0502
thank you i know i messed up and its completely my careless fault. I am just blaming myself to the point i don’t have any appetite because of worrying and regretting - don’t have the mood to revise for exams either so im screwed really

You won't improve by thinking you're screwed. Change your mindset and you will feel better. We can't help you unless you help yourself.
Reply 19
Original post by DrawTheLine
You won't improve by thinking you're screwed. Change your mindset and you will feel better. We can't help you unless you help yourself.

Thank you, i will try my best although it’s hard as i have anxiety problems and worry very easily.

Quick Reply