Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm currently at sixth form, but leaving to go to college and I'm considering taking A Level Philosophy. What I want to know is that is it a good and enjoyable subject and is it worth taking

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's enjoyable if you like questioning and thinking.

It's a lot of work and is difficult even for someone who enjoys it though. It's not something to be taken lightly!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by scott.foster33)
    Hello, I'm currently at sixth form, but leaving to go to college and I'm considering taking A Level Philosophy. What I want to know is that is it a good and enjoyable subject and is it worth taking

Thanks
    That depends on whether you enjoy philosophy or not.

What are your plans post A Levels?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Joe312)
    It's a lot of work and is difficult even for someone who enjoys it though. It's not something to be taken lightly!
    The same is true for most A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly can be, but it depends what your interests are. I found epistemology, formal logic and metaphysics very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy alot of intext citations in a paper yes...

they dont allow for much philosophising at undergrad.

So your really just restating books as at undergrad your opinion doesnt matter lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    That depends on whether you enjoy philosophy or not.

What are your plans post A Levels?
    I'm planning to go to university to study psychology or philosophy, I haven't quite decided yet
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I'm planning to go to university to study psychology or philosophy, I haven't quite decided yet
    If you're able to study both of these subjects at A Level you'll have a really good idea of whether you want to study them solely for 3 years afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    your better off as a philosophy major, for some reason (im sure their good im just unaware) they are preferred much more over psychology... best bet would be philosophy and a combined subject, like maths or economics or business though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    If you enjoy alot of intext citations in a paper yes...

they dont allow for much philosophising at undergrad.

So your really just restating books as at undergrad your opinion doesnt matter lol.
    True if you want to graduate with a 2:2, otherwise it's nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    It can be difficult even if you enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    True if you want to graduate with a 2:2, otherwise it's nonsense.
    You need a source for everything you write at university, so how is this wrong?

They expect you to critically analyze but provide substantial academic evidence to support any claim you make..... *easy nowadays thanks to internet some idiot feels the way u do generally*

Please explain to me where im wrong here...

But you writing papers of your opinion without theoretical justification will score poorly.

ReputationRep:
    You need a source for everything you write at university, so how is this wrong?

They expect you to critically analyze but provide substantial academic evidence to support any claim you make..... *easy nowadays thanks to internet some idiot feels the way u do generally*

Please explain to me where im wrong here...

But you writing papers of your opinion without theoretical justification will score poorly.
    The student's opinion is of critical importance if they want to score highly. Yes, there needs to be textual evidence and good argumentation relevant to the question, but when we grade we don't want to see what amounts to an exercise in fence sitting or mindless summarising. When you say 'at undergrad your opinion doesnt matter lol', you are demonstrably incorrect.

Most mark schemes in the country at degree level will have 'original argumentation' in their category for a high first. They will have 'some originality' for a first. So the student's 'opinion' is critical, and if they put it across well, it will score them very highly. Simply regurgitating what Locke said about personal identity or something will get you a middling grade at best.

ReputationRep:
    The student's opinion is of critical importance if they want to score highly. Yes, there needs to be textual evidence and good argumentation relevant to the question, but when we grade we don't want to see what amounts to an exercise in fence sitting or mindless summarising. When you say 'at undergrad your opinion doesnt matter lol', you are demonstrably incorrect.

Most mark schemes in the country at degree level will have 'original argumentation' in their category for a high first. They will have 'some originality' for a first. So the student's 'opinion' is critical, and if they put it across well, it will score them very highly. Simply regurgitating what Locke said about personal identity or something will get you a middling grade at best.
    Who on this forum is talented enough to get into that 80 mark scheme... im not, you need to not only regurgiate i never said that but basically critically analyze, and yet still have alot and i mean alot of references and proof of engagement with material.

I do business, and have about 16 in text citations on my most recent 1500 paper and had a classmate claim that i was pushing it on sources!!(lack)

So... i imagine a philosopy paper will need ever more referencing to get thru those 1,500 words!

Besides who is going to really impress an academic that much in the first two years of there degree lets be realistic!

ReputationRep:
    I am going to uni this year to do a joint honours in philosophy and literature, because I love philosophy so much. Its not for everyone though, my advice is go on edexcels website at look at the spec so you can see if anything will interest you.

And then I suggest watching some YouTube clips about the topics in the spec, so you can get a feel for them.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Who on this forum is talented enough to get into that 80 mark scheme... im not, you need to not only regurgiate i never said that but basically critically analyze, and yet still have alot and i mean alot of references and proof of engagement with material.

I do business, and have about 16 in text citations on my most recent 1500 paper and had a classmate claim that i was pushing it on sources!!(lack)

So... i imagine a philosopy paper will need ever more referencing to get thru those 1,500 words!

Besides who is going to really impress an academic that much in the first two years of there degree lets be realistic!
    You'd be surprised, it's not that difficult, especially once you hit second year. I mark 80-grade papers a few times every 8 weeks or so.

Actually no - in most 1500 word philosophy papers, if you have more than 5-10 (at a push) references you have not read closely enough. I'd expect to see maybe 10-15 individual in text citations, tops. Any more and you're filling it out with fluff rather than substance. This can change either way, but generally speaking the fewer citations the better. Undergraduates have a habit of saying nothing and pummelling us with citations. This is not the way to a good grade. The last 1500 word essay I wrote at undergraduate (about 2012) got a 78 and used 4 references with maybe 9 in-text citations. The focus is on the argument itself, not the he-said she-said.

Look, you said that there wasn't much opportunity to philosophise, and then further that 'So your really just restating books as at undergrad your opinion doesnt matter'. it is a matter of fact that this is untrue. That students don't take that opportunity is a different matter, and a different argument to that which you initially advanced.

ReputationRep:

Thanks

I'm going to university to do a joint honours course in Philosophy and Theology this year, and I've officially finished the syllabus for A Level RS (Philosophy included in year 12). I personally really enjoyed studying A Level Philosophy because of the content we covered, but more importantly the scope for debate and developing analytical skills. It is very hard, in that you are expected to learn so much - and even that is not enough to secure a good grade as you need to be able to think and write in a way that is critical and evaluative (which is where you get the marks in essays). But, if you feel that thinking critically and analytically is something you are or would be good at then go for it! Even if you struggle at the beginning, Philosophy is the kind of subject where the scope to develop the skills I mentioned is great. Also, the skills you'll learn in philosophy are transferable, and essential in most humanities subjects anyway so it will be worth it.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised, it's not that difficult, especially once you hit second year. I mark 80-grade papers a few times every 8 weeks or so.

Actually no - in most 1500 word philosophy papers, if you have more than 5-10 (at a push) references you have not read closely enough. I'd expect to see maybe 10-15 individual in text citations, tops. Any more and you're filling it out with fluff rather than substance. This can change either way, but generally speaking the fewer citations the better. Undergraduates have a habit of saying nothing and pummelling us with citations. This is not the way to a good grade. The last 1500 word essay I wrote at undergraduate (about 2012) got a 78 and used 4 references with maybe 9 in-text citations. The focus is on the argument itself, not the he-said she-said.

Look, you said that there wasn't much opportunity to philosophise, and then further that 'So your really just restating books as at undergrad your opinion doesnt matter'. it is a matter of fact that this is untrue. That students don't take that opportunity is a different matter, and a different argument to that which you initially advanced.
    A few times LOL ok so i go to a bigger uni most classes have around 300 students in them between 150 minimum to 300....so you see where im coming from here ?

The chances of most students being that talented or really getting that mark are ridiculously small.

Most people (even those at uni) dont have the skill needed to explain information at that level required.

My whole thing is lets be real with OP, he will not be going to learn philosopy at uni to philosophize there is nothing wrong with that statement.

They will teach him critical thinking and analytical skills from a structured university level.
    Obviously there is space to add your own ideas, but only the smallest most talented individual succeed in this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    The same is true for most A Levels.
    You are correct indeed, however I do think Philosophy is towards the harder end of the spectrum.

There also exists a false perception in culture and amongst prospective students of it that Philosophy is an easy subject. So I just want to correct for that.

ReputationRep:
    A few times LOL ok so i go to a bigger uni most classes have around 300 students in them between 150 minimum to 300....so you see where im coming from here ?

The chances of most students being that talented or really getting that mark are ridiculously small.

Most people (even those at uni) dont have the skill needed to explain information at that level required.

My whole thing is lets be real with OP, he will not be going to learn philosopy at uni to philosophize there is nothing wrong with that statement.

They will teach him critical thinking and analytical skills from a structured university level.
    Obviously there is space to add your own ideas, but only the smallest most talented individual succeed in this.
    Sorry but unfortunately this is all wrong.

The number of citations you have varies. I’ve had 20+ citations for papers on some subjects, 6 or 7 for others. It has no bearing on your mark in philosophy. What matters in undergraduate philosophy is understanding the arguments and being able to formulate and defend your own philosophical position or your evaluation of others’ philosophical position. You do do philosophy at undergraduate level. It’s not just regurgitation at all. And quite a lot of people get firsts.

It’s also worth saying that this does not really differ from contemporary academic philosophy which is done in a pretty similar way. It’s not guys in elbow patches just doing stream of consciousness and then submitting it to Analysis...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 27, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.