The Student Room Group

Can i claim an extenuating circumstance?

I would really like to oxford for medicine but I don't have the GCSE grades. I have 1 9, 2 6's, 3 A*'s, 4 A's and 1 B. I know last year anyone who got shortlisted had a minimum of 7 A*'s.
However, I wasn't born in this country and came here less than 8 years ago. I am currently in first year of 6th form. I did better than average in my CATs but not high enough to be in Gifted and Talented. But over the years I kept making progress and entered the gift and talent programme. However English is still my second language hence the 6's but I was predicted higher, 8.
However during my GCSE I choose to fast which meant that I had no sleeping routine and felt quite weak which I think to my decreased performance in my GCSE. In addition, we had family events going on so that meant I had to help out and it was too loud to be able to revise.
Furthermore, less than a week ago an aggravated burglary happened at my house and now I can't focus. I am constantly worried and looking over my back. I find myself making simple arithmetical errors that I never made before. I have had a session with a counsellor and she says I show signs of PTSD. I am scared that I will not achieve as well as I want to in my A-levels.
Will this count as a extenuating circumstance? Do I still have a chance at going Oxford?
Just apply.... no one can answer this to be honest...

most people who get in dont think they will...

all people who dont apply dont get in.
Its not totally impossible - if you look at the data from 2015 you can see one person who got in with just 2A*s. They had extenuating circs, A*A*A*A* achieved at A-level and a fantastic BMAT.

But realistically, the best advice is to look elsewhere if I'm honest, especially if you think you're continuing to have academic difficulties. Most people who apply for medicine don't get any offers, so taking unnecessary risks is not really a viable tactic. Just make sure you get at least AAA at A-level and there are plenty of there places that will take you.

Original post by Realitysreflexx
Just apply.... no one can answer this to be honest...

Unfortunately, as its medicine you can't afford to waste choices and "just apply" is not good advice.
Original post by nexttime
Its not totally impossible - if you look at the data from 2015 you can see one person who got in with just 2A*s. They had extenuating circs, A*A*A*A* achieved at A-level and a fantastic BMAT.

But realistically, the best advice is to look elsewhere if I'm honest, especially if you think you're continuing to have academic difficulties. Most people who apply for medicine don't get any offers, so taking unnecessary risks is not really a viable tactic. Just make sure you get at least AAA at A-level and there are plenty of there places that will take you.

Unfortunately, as its medicine you can't afford to waste choices and "just apply" is not good advice.

Still only one of four choices... then OP can still apply to three "weaker" unis, even though they are all Russells i believe... or high tariff unis anyways..so yeah not bad advice.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Still only one of four choices... then OP can still apply to three "weaker" unis, even though they are all Russells i believe... or high tariff unis anyways..so yeah not bad advice.

'Weaker' unis still have a 10% acceptance rate. Only 40% of those who apply to medicine get any offers. Logically that becomes 30% if you only use 3 choices.

OP: This guy can do whatever he likes but back in reality you really really shouldn't waste choices when applying for medicine.
Original post by nexttime
'Weaker' unis still have a 10% acceptance rate. Only 40% of those who apply to medicine get any offers. Logically that becomes 30% if you only use 3 choices.

OP: This guy can do whatever he likes but back in reality you really really shouldn't waste choices when applying for medicine.

Im not one to crush dreams, i got into a uni i didnt think was possible, obviously situations are different...

statistically you seem to have all the knowledge to back your claim so i wont disagree.

Quick Reply

Latest