Nightlife? Watch

ridersofrohan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is the nightlife really as bad as they say? I’m not a huge club goer but I wouldn’t want to be bored and miss out on the social aspect. Is it not too uncommon for students to go to London on a Friday/Saturday night?
username2628955
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Idk much about RH, but my sister goes there and you best believe she complains about how dead it is, all the time. It doesn’t exactly seem very close to central London (hour by train, I think?). I’ve visited the Uni many times and in terms of general surroundings, it really doesn’t seem like there’s very much to do...
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ridersofrohan)
Is the nightlife really as bad as they say? I’m not a huge club goer but I wouldn’t want to be bored and miss out on the social aspect. Is it not too uncommon for students to go to London on a Friday/Saturday night?
Hey ridersofrohan!

I studied at Royal Holloway for four years, graduating a few years ago. The SU run club nights in two of their venues 3 nights a week as well as holding Indie nights at the Packhorse pub. We're also local to Windsor, and clubs there are popular with students. Slightly further afield, there's also the option of going to London too, although I generally found there was enough to do on campus.

I also think it's worth noting that student life at any uni is definitely what you make of it. What I really liked about Royal Holloway was that there were club nights available on campus, so I didn't need to worry about getting home or paying for taxis. Student life here is also heavily made up of the wide variety of sports clubs and societies, all of whom organise matches, competitions, shows and social gatherings too - so I certainly wasn't bored here!

Have you had a chance to visit our campus?

Camilla
Archdukes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, the nightlife is great. We have weekly tiki torch parades through campus by the local branch of the Proud Boys.
polaroidfilms
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol SU gets pretty boring after a while, better go to London and make the most of your night tbh and sometimes there's coaches that do London takeovers on different clubs, worth the money
quickstep
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ridersofrohan)
Hey there! There's a few options for nightlife. In Egham itself there's of course the SU and Medicine - nights out are Monday, Wednesday and Friday - and there's a few pubs. But if you want to venture off-campus, there's quite a few places in Staines and Windsor (bars and clubs etc), and if you want to go even further there's apparently quite a bit in Reading and London.

I've personally stuck mostly to campus stuff. Societies will often do social nights, whether to the SU or organising their own events/meetups, and even if you're not part of a society there's plenty of different SU nights. It can get expensive to go off-campus since local public transport isn't always ideal (eg trains to/from London don't always run between something like 1AM-5AM), but can be worth it once in a while for a change of scenery
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.63%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.36%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.42%

Watched Threads