Medicine but with physics? Watch

Dontkmowwhat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to be a doctor (changing environment,helping people, should be difficult, ect.), but I'm really into maths and theoretical physics. My only problem with it is I find biology boring because it often feels like simplified chem to me.

Does anyone know any med schools which will let me do an SSC or just electives in maths or physics?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cambridge used to let you do an entire year in an unrelated subject like physics, but i am told this is not normally done any more. The answer is no, unfortunately.

People talk about radiology and radiotherapy being areas where medicine and physics cross over, but the reality is that the level of physics that a radiologist studies is no higher than a-level really.

So you will either have to study medicine and content yourself with reading in your own time (which in 95% of cases means you become too busy, lose interest and never read anything), or you will have to study physics/maths at uni.
Jakir
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dontkmowwhat)
I want to be a doctor (changing environment,helping people, should be difficult, ect.), but I'm really into maths and theoretical physics. My only problem with it is I find biology boring because it often feels like simplified chem to me.

Does anyone know any med schools which will let me do an SSC or just electives in maths or physics?
This is me in a nutshell. Unfortunately u need to choose your option tbh as they don't overlap too much
StationToStation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medphys/prospec...c-intercalated

It's possible to intercalate at other unis so you wouldn't have to go to UCL to do this.

I'd be surprised if any med school had pure physics/maths SSCs, but I'm sure that all that have SSCs will have a few imaging-related ones which is probably the closest you can get to that sort of stuff in medicine.
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There may be other degrees and career options that better fulfil your interests.

Have you looked into natural sciences at all? You can combine subjects and 'build your own degree' to incorporate physics and maths as well as features from other sciences.

Similarly there may be branches of engineering, or materials science that work for you - for example, there are lots of very fancy machines that are used in healthcare, and there are going to be jobs out there for people to build/maintain/improve these machines.

I am speaking as a doctor who actively dislikes biology, and really didn't enjoy the first 2 years of the degree (not uncommon). So if you do decide you want to go ahead with medicine you won't be alone in not enjoying the biology stuff. For many people it's just stuff you have to get through to get to the medically bit. But if maths/physics is your greater interest, I would look elsewhere because you won't get much of that in medicine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (154)
17.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.71%
No I am happy with my course choice (516)
59.11%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.55%

Watched Threads