This discussion is closed.
JRimmer27
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
what is the best pen for writing essays?
i need to be able to comfortably write and so that my hand does not ache.

Thanks.
adsuudixfra
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soft-Touch-.../dp/B00DSL8762

these should be complete crap but for some reason they write so fkn nice
Unknown-99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A pen is a pen mate just use one which you are comfortable writing with and use black or blue ink and do NOT use a gel pen.
AL191070
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Papermate
Sciencenerd101
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I actually really like some that I bought in Poundland! Black body and a white clicker that says office on it. Another lot I've bought from Poundland is a big pack of red blue and black pends that are clicker pens and fear plastic cases that match the colour of the ink. As long as the pen's black and isn't a normal basic biro then I'm fine
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My favourite pens so far - uniball eye fine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uniball-Fin...iball+eye+fine

Ink flows smoothly and you can write quickly.

Can smudge if you move your hand over it straight after - I use these pens all the time and only affects me sometimes when I underline something with a ruler and move it away quickly before it dries. Not when I write. Keep going back to these pens.

I would say get them but try them out before.
cxrwl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
my favourite pen is a black stabilo point 88 fineliner and it’s the only one I use since a few years ago
Nabundle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Unknown-99)
A pen is a pen mate just use one which you are comfortable writing with and use black or blue ink and do NOT use a gel pen.
what's the reason that we're not allowed gel pens in the exams? They dry quickly and are smooth when writing
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ihatelife2)
what's the reason that we're not allowed gel pens in the exams? They dry quickly and are smooth when writing
I'm not entirely sure of the reason but it was always stressed to us to never use a gel pen the invigilator would say it multiple times before every exam. I think maybe because nowadays the exam papers are all scanned and marked electronically so maybe gel pens don't scan as well as normal pens.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
gel pens don't scan as well as normal pens.
Correct.
username3843068
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not entirely sure of the reason but it was always stressed to us to never use a gel pen the invigilator would say it multiple times before every exam. I think maybe because nowadays the exam papers are all scanned and marked electronically so maybe gel pens don't scan as well as normal pens.
When they are photocopied / scanned the heat from the printer can sometimes remove the ink (thats how those erasable pens work - the heat is from the friction)
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
just a black biro will do the trick...
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As well as the scanning issue, it may be because students can accidentally smudge the writing if it hasn't dried yet which would make the paper hard to mark (just a thought).
username402722
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
One that doesn't run out half way through!
mintchocchip
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Actually you can’t write in blue. I doesn’t show up well when they scan the papers
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rainbowcat1437)
Actually you can’t write in blue. I doesn’t show up well when they scan the papers
I'm sure blue is fine I've used blue loads of times because I prefer it to black. Green and red can't be used.
JRimmer27
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm sure blue is fine I've used blue loads of times because I prefer it to black. Green and red can't be used.
nope, all test papers will state something along the lines of "make sure you use black biro pen" and usually it will also give you another option of pen.

something to do with the scanner; blue just doesn't scan as easily.
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JRimmer27)
nope, all test papers will state something along the lines of "make sure you use black biro pen" and usually it will also give you another option of pen.

Oh that's strange. Here in Scotland it just says "USE BLUE OR BLACK INK" on the front of the paper and the invigilator tells us not to use a gel pen. I think it would be very harsh and unfair for someone to lose marks over a scanning problem they should just mark them the old fashioned way with a pen and the paper in front of the marker.
Iahmed512
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It usually says on all the papers use black ink or ballpoint pen in bold at the front.
Iahmed512
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JRimmer27)

It's worded more formally and specific than that but yeah you're right, hardly seen any exam paper which doesn't say it now.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads