The Student Room Group

A level recommendations??

Hi I’m about to sit my GCSEs and will have to decide on my a level options in a couple of months but am not sure what degree I want to take in uni so it’s pretty hard to decide what A levels to take. I was thinking
physics
maths
further maths
and Italian
but I’m not 100% on that, just wondering if there were any recommendations from people who are sitting similar a levels
Thankyou!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dannipayne
Hi I’m about to sit my GCSEs and will have to decide on my a level options in a couple of months but am not sure what degree I want to take in uni so it’s pretty hard to decide what A levels to take. I was thinking
physics
maths
further maths
and Italian
but I’m not 100% on that, just wondering if there were any recommendations from people who are sitting similar a levels
Thankyou!

If your not sure what to take at Uni then your best bet is to take STEM subjects at A Level (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). Just Google STEM subject and you'll find loads of articles and web pages of information. Based on what you've said Physics and maths are the obvious options but from experience you should be thinking of what you want to do at Uni from the offset of A Levels. Look at your interests, maybe computing, business, engineering etc. and try and tailor your A Levels to potential courses you might take at uni. That way you can avoid doing a foundation year and go straight into the course with the right A Levels.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Yeah I’ve thought about possible uni degrees such as engineering, physics, maths or accountancy. I know I would like to pursue something within physics or maths I just don’t know whether it’s worth me taking something like English instead of further maths or whether further maths would be more credible to a university application
for any of the subjects you mentioned, particularly physics and maths, further maths will be much much more helpful and will look better to top universities. I take physics maths fm and chemistry and definitely don't regret doing further maths it puts you at such an advantage for doing a mathematical subject at uni
Reply 4
Original post by aesthete1
for any of the subjects you mentioned, particularly physics and maths, further maths will be much much more helpful and will look better to top universities. I take physics maths fm and chemistry and definitely don't regret doing further maths it puts you at such an advantage for doing a mathematical subject at uni

How difficult did you find GCSE maths? I enjoy maths but I doubt myself as to whether I’m actually good enough to take both maths and further maths. I don’t want to be struggling really badly for the next two years but I am willing to spend a lot of time on maths
How difficult did you find GCSE maths? I enjoy maths but I doubt myself as to whether I’m actually good enough to take both maths and further maths. I don’t want to be struggling really badly for the next two years but I am willing to spend a lot of time on maths

I found GCSE maths very very easy and I still excel at a level without needing to put too much work in, I'd say a level maths is definitely accessible to anyone getting at least a B/6/7 comfortably but further maths is tougher and I think you'd struggle unless you can comfortably achieve a high A/A*/7/8/9 at gcse as you really need to be able to cope with difficult mathematical concepts.
Reply 6
I did my maths exams in November and got an A* in both maths and numeracy, I’m now doing additional to try and bridge the gap between GCSE and AS level a little bit, I find I understand more difficult concepts in maths faster than easier ones. My maths teachers have recommended further maths to me but I find every teacher will recommend their subject which is why I was doubting myself a little when it came to maths and fm A Levels
Original post by Nation24
If your not sure what to take at Uni then your best bet is to take STEM subjects at A Level (Science, Technology, English and Math).

@StayWoke :K:
From someone who regrets it deeply, take subjects you enjoy rather than you’re good at.

I have done the later and took maths, further maths, physics and economics only to later find out my interest is in humanities.
Reply 9
Original post by SoGrumpy
From someone who regrets it deeply, take subjects you enjoy rather than you’re good at.

I have done the later and took maths, further maths, physics and economics only to later find out my interest is in humanities.

I hope that one day you end up pursuing your passion, thankyou for your advice. Many people decide to take subjects which will lead to the most money rather than what they enjoy. I agree that it is important to study what you are interested in
Reply 10
Original post by aesthete1
I found GCSE maths very very easy and I still excel at a level without needing to put too much work in, I'd say a level maths is definitely accessible to anyone getting at least a B/6/7 comfortably but further maths is tougher and I think you'd struggle unless you can comfortably achieve a high A/A*/7/8/9 at gcse as you really need to be able to cope with difficult mathematical concepts.

I did my maths exams in November and got an A* in both maths and numeracy, I’m now doing additional to try and bridge the gap between GCSE and AS level a little bit, I find I understand more difficult concepts in maths faster than easier ones. My maths teachers have recommended further maths to me but I find every teacher will recommend their subject which is why I was doubting myself a little when it came to maths and fm A Levels

sounds like youll be fine with further maths as long as you put the work in as everyone needs to
Physics
Further Maths
Economics

Go straight into IB lol...

Study PPE at University

you get the maths from economics
you get the philosophy reasons and explanations for existence from philosopy
and you get the political knowledge to explain the previous 2.

Yet with good A level grades in those subjects you can likely still with a smooth personal statement get onto any humanities course.........as economics is a social science.
Original post by Nation24
If your not sure what to take at Uni then your best bet is to take STEM subjects at A Level (Science, Technology, English and Math). Just Google STEM subject and you'll find loads of articles and web pages of information. Based on what you've said Physics and maths are the obvious options but from experience you should be thinking of what you want to do at Uni from the offset of A Levels. Look at your interests, maybe computing, business, engineering etc. and try and tailor your A Levels to potential courses you might take at uni. That way you can avoid doing a foundation year and go straight into the course with the right A Levels.

never knew english was STEM haha
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Physics
Further Maths
Economics

Go straight into IB lol...

Study PPE at University

you get the maths from economics
you get the philosophy reasons and explanations for existence from philosopy
and you get the political knowledge to explain the previous 2.

Yet with good A level grades in those subjects you can likely still with a smooth personal statement get onto any humanities course.........as economics is a social science.

What coincidence that this is exactly what happened to me.

I now in deed hold offers to study ppe xD
What coincidence that this is exactly what happened to me.

I now in deed hold offers to study ppe xD

Awesome, now i know my theory is sound lol

Which Unis?

Which one are you favouring?
I hope that one day you end up pursuing your passion, thankyou for your advice. Many people decide to take subjects which will lead to the most money rather than what they enjoy. I agree that it is important to study what you are interested in

Hey bud, not to say how much you earn in the future does not matter, my point is your a level choices would have very little effect on it.

It only has great significance if you have your mind set on particular careers such as engineering or medicine.

To do pretty much anything else, a respectable degree will do.

Hence I recommend choosing subjects you won’t mind spending a lot of time on, for you will most likely end up doing so.
Awesome, now i know my theory is sound lol

Which Unis?

Which one are you favouring?

Hold offers to lse ucl Warwick and York.

Firmed lse and insures ucl.

If you want to talk more, I am happy to answer pm, for we are using the space for someone else’s thread
Hold offers to lse ucl Warwick and York.

Firmed lse and insures ucl.

If you want to talk more, I am happy to answer pm, for we are using the space for someone else’s thread

Nothing further to discuss, welcome to the Russell group my friend, im also a colleague however at a more reachable one :smile: Nottingham :smile:

Quick Reply