camel123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How good is Manchester at Law LLB compare to my other unis (Warwick, Exeter and Surrey):
How good is reputation among UK's employers and international recognition.
How is quality of teaching? Lectures?
How good is social life and city in general?

I got stuck between Warwick, Manchester and Exeter
Exeter gave me quite low offer, if I do firm, which looks quite tempting (AAB or equivalent), however I'm worried about its international reputation.....I visited all of them, but still stuck.....
Emir123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lol, I’m in exactly the same situation....still didn’t decide
username2353215
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You cannot quantify said universities, they are much of a muchness.

All three are very reputable law schools, will one give you a better chance of employment in the legal field? I doubt it.
Emir123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TSRFT8)
You cannot quantify said universities, they are much of a muchness.

All three are very reputable law schools, will one give you a better chance of employment in the legal field? I doubt it.
But still.....we both have a choice and we need to narrow down our unis to just firm and an insturance.
Which one would you personally pick?
username2353215
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Emir123)
But still.....we both have a choice and we need to narrow down our unis to just firm and an insturance.
Which one would you personally pick?
Sorry, I meant that in response to the question about prestige and reputation, it seemed OP was more concerned about reputation.

Personally, the universities and the cities they are in are very different. Whilst the reputation puts them at the same level, the cities are anything but. Nonetheless, the question about where is most suitable, is very subjective. You may prefer a large city campus (Manchester), you may prefer a city in a more secluded area (Warwick). It is worth mentioning though, Warwick is very central, so transport across the UK is quick and easy. Contrast this with the other two which are at other sides of the country, it will take longer to travel up/down. This maybe more of an issue if you are international students.

Teaching quality etc will be on the website, you can see what modules each uni does, if there is any that you like. Some universities also give more choices in their degree. For example, allowing you to have an "open module" selection. This allows you to pick modules which are "easier" than traditional law modules. Many students play the system and get their marks up this way.

Ultimately, this is all very personal. If you ask me, I would side with Manchester. I prefer being a big city etc which would be my influencing factor. Although, I attend a uni in London, if I had the choice of these three, I would pick Manchester.

Hope this helps.
Emir123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry, I meant that in response to the question about prestige and reputation, it seemed OP was more concerned about reputation.

Personally, the universities and the cities they are in are very different. Whilst the reputation puts them at the same level, the cities are anything but. Nonetheless, the question about where is most suitable, is very subjective. You may prefer a large city campus (Manchester), you may prefer a city in a more secluded area (Warwick). It is worth mentioning though, Warwick is very central, so transport across the UK is quick and easy. Contrast this with the other two which are at other sides of the country, it will take longer to travel up/down. This maybe more of an issue if you are international students.

Teaching quality etc will be on the website, you can see what modules each uni does, if there is any that you like. Some universities also give more choices in their degree. For example, allowing you to have an "open module" selection. This allows you to pick modules which are "easier" than traditional law modules. Many students play the system and get their marks up this way.

Ultimately, this is all very personal. If you ask me, I would side with Manchester. I prefer being a big city etc which would be my influencing factor. Although, I attend a uni in London, if I had the choice of these three, I would pick Manchester.

Hope this helps.
Which uni in London do you attend?
username2353215
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which uni in London do you attend?
LSE
Emir123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
LSE
Impressive
camel123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago

Hope this helps.
I really like Warwick's course and the quality of teaching is quite high, however their entry standards are very high compare to those others and location seems to me too isolated....
username2353215
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by camel123)
I really like Warwick's course and the quality of teaching is quite high, however their entry standards are very high compare to those others and location seems to me too isolated....
Maybe I am wrong, but are the three not very similar? I thought all three were AAA courses, maybe Warwick is A*AA. Also, the entry standards nowadays seem to be more flexible.

Yeah, Warwick is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. It is close to places like Birmingham, but I do agree that, it is not really ideal for someone seeking the "city" uni lifestyle. Is it at all possible for you to visit these universities? I feel visiting helps a lot, at least it did for me.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As above, Warwick is AAA like the others. Offer rate is lower, if that is what you mean.

Warwick's course. What do you like about it so much? And what gave you the impression that Warwick's quality of teaching is quite high, relative to the others?
Emir123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
As above, Warwick is AAA like the others. Offer rate is lower, if that is what you mean.

Warwick's course. What do you like about it so much? And what gave you the impression that Warwick's quality of teaching is quite high, relative to the others?
I wanted to say that they are very strict at grades, if you miss your offer by one grade, they’ll be unlikely to take you
aspiringlawyerNW
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How good is Manchester at Law LLB compare to my other unis (Warwick, Exeter and Surrey):
How good is reputation among UK's employers and international recognition.
How is quality of teaching? Lectures?
How good is social life and city in general?

I got stuck between Warwick, Manchester and Exeter
Exeter gave me quite low offer, if I do firm, which looks quite tempting (AAB or equivalent), however I'm worried about its international reputation.....I visited all of them, but still stuck.....
Why is international reputation something that would affect your decision, are you looking to move abroad in the future and if so, to do what?
When it comes to this country, those three universities are pretty neck and neck. Getting a strong degree in any would be a good start to your career. As others have said though, the social aspects of these universities couldn't really be more different!
Emir123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AndrewMarkSP)
Why is international reputation something that would affect your decision, are you looking to move abroad in the future and if so, to do what?
When it comes to this country, those three universities are pretty neck and neck. Getting a strong degree in any would be a good start to your career. As others have said though, the social aspects of these universities couldn't really be more different!
I’m planning to stay in the UK, however I might choose international law path, which might include jobs abroad....but AAA for Manchester is risky
Emir123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Because I heard that lectures in Exeter are useless sh*t
aspiringlawyerNW
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I’m planning to stay in the UK, however I might choose international law path, which might include jobs abroad....but AAA for Manchester is risky
Well why not firm Manchester and put Exeter as your insurance? Seems logical to me.
Emir123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AndrewMarkSP)
Well why not firm Manchester and put Exeter as your insurance? Seems logical to me.
Exeter’s offer is AAA but if firm then AAB or equivalent
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because I heard that lectures in Exeter are useless sh*t
There are people who complain about quality of teaching at Warwick, KCL, Liverpool, Oxford and so on. The issue with this is they have not tasted the teaching standards on other courses, hence their complaint is without context. They think "I am having a hard time with this difficult course ... must by my lectures which are crap; it must be someone else's fault." On the flip side, there will be hundreds of other students on the same course who are quite contented.

Also I wasn't asking you, so I am unsure why you responded.
Emir123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are people who complain about quality of teaching at Warwick, KCL, Liverpool, Oxford and so on. The issue with this is they have not tasted the teaching standards on other courses, hence their complaint is without context. They think "I am having a hard time with this difficult course ... must by my lectures which are crap; it must be someone else's fault." On the flip side, there will be hundreds of other students on the same course who are quite contented.

Also I wasn't asking you, so I am unsure why you responded.
You asked me on the message above :/
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Exeter’s offer is AAA but if firm then AAB or equivalent
So if by some divine intervention Manchester starts enforcing their AAA offer, you'd get AAB/BB and be rejected from there and you'd also put yourself at risk of being rejected by Exeter for missing your AAA offer there. Of course, chances are Manchester will accept you anyway. Exeter less so, but still a half-decent chance.

You asked me on the message above :/
I kinda never :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads