The Student Room Group

The quest for As

Hello,

I'm Pearl, an A-level student in year 12 this year.
I have decided to start a log book on my journey to improve my Grades to be able to have the possibility to go to a Russell group uni without any trouble.
I am taking:

English Literature
History
Mathematics

My predicted grades for all these are As. I had no problems at GCSE, I didn't even have to study that much, but this year I have been struggling to get my targets.
At my school we have quarterly exams and I did Q3 last week. So far, the grades for Maths aren't looking good. I got 14% in one exam and 60% in the other, and it terrifies me. The ultimate goal would be Oxbridge but I feel like I have made a grave mistake studying Maths, I feel like I won't be able to do it!
I am not ready to give up yet though... end of year tests are only 10 weeks away and so begins my quest for As.

This log is primarily for my motivation, but if you want to follow along and maybe join my quest, I'd love to have some support!
Well, here goes....
Reply 1
Lord, the past few days have been a bit disappointing.

I found out I got 14% in a Maths test

I got my application for head girl rejected

I had a bit of a scare at university introduction night

So overall, the past few days have been a bit of a sh1tstorm.
I have, however completed 3 Maths past papers in the past few days and created a revision resource for english. We're powering through it!
Q3 grades have come in:

A overall in English (A in poetry, A in Prose)

B overall in History (B in Tudors, A in Weimar)

C overall in Maths (U in one paper, A in the other)

Now's the time to clean up my act and get the grades on track. We're looking for all As by Q4 remember....
Extra Note: I felt really upset after being rejected from head girl, I go to the final interview process and got turned down there. But to be honest, I think it's for the best. I don't actually have that much time and its a whole lot of work being Head girl. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself not to bother. It was a whole lot of effort for an outcome I knew was going to happen (isn't it funny that the head girl's mum is head of the PTFA and deputy head girl's mum is a Governor, hm? Just kidding, I'm being bitter about it. They both deserved the role),

See you next time for an update xx
Original post by pearlbaxi
Lord, the past few days have been a bit disappointing.

I found out I got 14% in a Maths test

I got my application for head girl rejected

I had a bit of a scare at university introduction night

So overall, the past few days have been a bit of a sh1tstorm.
I have, however completed 3 Maths past papers in the past few days and created a revision resource for english. We're powering through it!
Q3 grades have come in:

A overall in English (A in poetry, A in Prose)

B overall in History (B in Tudors, A in Weimar)

C overall in Maths (U in one paper, A in the other)

Now's the time to clean up my act and get the grades on track. We're looking for all As by Q4 remember....
Extra Note: I felt really upset after being rejected from head girl, I go to the final interview process and got turned down there. But to be honest, I think it's for the best. I don't actually have that much time and its a whole lot of work being Head girl. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself not to bother. It was a whole lot of effort for an outcome I knew was going to happen (isn't it funny that the head girl's mum is head of the PTFA and deputy head girl's mum is a Governor, hm? Just kidding, I'm being bitter about it. They both deserved the role),

See you next time for an update xx

There's always ups and downs when it comes to academics. As a GCSE student I can't possibly understand the difficulty of the subjects you are studying, so all I can say is good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by Newtronimus
There's always ups and downs when it comes to academics. As a GCSE student I can't possibly understand the difficulty of the subjects you are studying, so all I can say is good luck.

Thanks for the support x. I was where you are just a year ago and GCSEs are a hell of a lot of work too. Good luck
Reply 4
Okay... the last few days have been a bit more promising.
I have started doing an old specification maths paper a day just to get my head around some of the concepts and be able to complete them in timed conditions. The results have been good, all over 70% so I've started to get my confidence back.
The Easter holidays have come quickly- seriously guys, don't wish your time away -and I made the mistake of sending both history textbooks over to the place I'm holidaying at soon. Oh well, more maths revision it is then. Feeling a lot better this week than I felt last week. Maybe it was a blessing to be rejected from a leadership role, more time to turn an ABC into an AAA.
Anyway, that's all I have for you guys at the moment, I doubt there will be much progression in the next few days.
Good luck with Easter revision, and I hope you're all getting lots of rest
XXX
Okay... the last few days have been a bit more promising.
I have started doing an old specification maths paper a day just to get my head around some of the concepts and be able to complete them in timed conditions. The results have been good, all over 70% so I've started to get my confidence back.
The Easter holidays have come quickly- seriously guys, don't wish your time away -and I made the mistake of sending both history textbooks over to the place I'm holidaying at soon. Oh well, more maths revision it is then. Feeling a lot better this week than I felt last week. Maybe it was a blessing to be rejected from a leadership role, more time to turn an ABC into an AAA.
Anyway, that's all I have for you guys at the moment, I doubt there will be much progression in the next few days.
Good luck with Easter revision, and I hope you're all getting lots of rest
XXX

Keep going at it, I have a close friend that spent a good portion of his holidays only revising maths and that took him far so hopefully it would do the same to you. Good luck
Hello,

I'm Pearl, an A-level student in year 12 this year.
I have decided to start a log book on my journey to improve my Grades to be able to have the possibility to go to a Russell group uni without any trouble.
I am taking:

English Literature
History
Mathematics

My predicted grades for all these are As. I had no problems at GCSE, I didn't even have to study that much, but this year I have been struggling to get my targets.
At my school we have quarterly exams and I did Q3 last week. So far, the grades for Maths aren't looking good. I got 14% in one exam and 60% in the other, and it terrifies me. The ultimate goal would be Oxbridge but I feel like I have made a grave mistake studying Maths, I feel like I won't be able to do it!
I am not ready to give up yet though... end of year tests are only 10 weeks away and so begins my quest for As.

This log is primarily for my motivation, but if you want to follow along and maybe join my quest, I'd love to have some support!
Well, here goes....

I will be rooting for you!

I feel your pain, the leap between GCSE Maths and A level was too much for me, but keep plugging away and i'm sure you will see those percentages start to jump up!

How are you getting on with your History, that was my favourite subject? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Evil Homer
I will be rooting for you!

I feel your pain, the leap between GCSE Maths and A level was too much for me, but keep plugging away and i'm sure you will see those percentages start to jump up!

How are you getting on with your History, that was my favourite subject? :smile:

I love History. I'm doing the Tudors and Weimar Germany at the minute, they're both really interesting but I think I prefer Weimar. Finding it hard to boost myself higher up the A grade though. I'll get used to it eventually!
Reply 8
Sorry I've been away for so long! I was on holiday which was really relaxing. I managed to keep revision up though. A maths paper a day worked well for me, getting up at 7.30 and doing one before my day began got me revising so I could enjoy my day. My percentages have been pretty good, all 80% and over.
I made an English revision summary for my class which really helped as we are going to be moving on soon. I'm going back to school tomorrow and am retaking the maths test i got 14% on: hopefully it'll be better this time.
Good luck everyone with back to school! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending