The Student Room Group

Am I better off spending 3 years in a bad uni, or 4 years in a good uni?

Hello!

I've applied to a few universities across the UK as a mature student - I'm 23, but i'll be 24 by the time the course starts this September. As I only have two and a half A-levels, my options are limited and I need some advice.

I can either:

A) Do a four year programme starting at foundation level at a good university, but end up getting myself into further debt with student loans (£9k+ a year plus maintenance on a four-year course).

B) Attend a relatively bad university, going straight into the first year (i.e. only 3 years) and then possibly transferring after the first year to a better university once I have gained enough points to attend somewhere better. This saves me a year of fees and an extra year.

What is a better choice? The bad universities still charge as much as anywhere else, pretty low student satisfaction but it may be the case of sticking it out for the first year until I can be placed somewhere I enjoy.

Will universities still hold me accountable to my A-levels even if i've done the first year already? Does anyone know how easy the process is in transferring between courses? Obviously the course is still the same and the modules will be similar enough.

After suffering from depression in my second year of A-levels, my attendance was poor and subsequently one of my teachers dismissed me from one of my subjects. I thought I wouldn't go to uni, but after spending the last five years travelling I have a better idea of what I want to do. Time is of the essence here as the course I want to do requires me to take up another year of study after i've obtained my undergrad diploma.

Some of the good universities that have offered me to start on the foundation year include Durham and Plymouth. The less reputable universities that have offered a place starting in first year are some of the Metropolitan unis and Bedfordshire - I hope no one takes offence to this, this is merely based on student statistics and reviews of these institutions!

Maybe studying at Durham for four years is worth the extra money and time if it means I have better employment opportunities after graduating?

Thoughts please!
Original post by blade1145
Hello!

I've applied to a few universities across the UK as a mature student - I'm 23, but i'll be 24 by the time the course starts this September. As I only have two and a half A-levels, my options are limited and I need some advice.

I can either:

A) Do a four year programme starting at foundation level at a good university, but end up getting myself into further debt with student loans (£9k+ a year plus maintenance on a four-year course).

B) Attend a relatively bad university, going straight into the first year (i.e. only 3 years) and then possibly transferring after the first year to a better university once I have gained enough points to attend somewhere better. This saves me a year of fees and an extra year.

What is a better choice? The bad universities still charge as much as anywhere else, pretty low student satisfaction but it may be the case of sticking it out for the first year until I can be placed somewhere I enjoy.

Will universities still hold me accountable to my A-levels even if i've done the first year already? Does anyone know how easy the process is in transferring between courses? Obviously the course is still the same and the modules will be similar enough.

After suffering from depression in my second year of A-levels, my attendance was poor and subsequently one of my teachers dismissed me from one of my subjects. I thought I wouldn't go to uni, but after spending the last five years travelling I have a better idea of what I want to do. Time is of the essence here as the course I want to do requires me to take up another year of study after i've obtained my undergrad diploma.

Some of the good universities that have offered me to start on the foundation year include Durham and Plymouth. The less reputable universities that have offered a place starting in first year are some of the Metropolitan unis and Bedfordshire - I hope no one takes offence to this, this is merely based on student statistics and reviews of these institutions!

Maybe studying at Durham for four years is worth the extra money and time if it means I have better employment opportunities after graduating?

Thoughts please!

First point to note is that an extra year of funding will have almost no impact on the amount you pay back. It isn't what you borrow but instead based on your income threshold.

As much as the degree is important you are essentially paying for a brand and when all brands charge the same it'd be silly not to get into the best University possible. But as much as this is important it's equally important as to what the course content is like and whether you'd be happy there for 3/4 years.

I've done the same, I recieved four unconditional offers but ended up going with a foundation year at Keele. This wasn't just for the prestige even though it's not overly prestigous but it's a solid uni. It was due to the course and that the foundation year has been going for almost as long as it was granted University status and aas I've been out of education for a while it'll be of great benefit to me in the long run.
Reply 2
Hello!

I can either:

Thoughts please!

Plymouth isn't generally regarded as especially "prestigious".

Which course(s) are you applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
Plymouth isn't generally regarded as especially "prestigious".

Which course(s) are you applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Law
Law is such a competitive industry - you would certainly be better off going to Durham and doing 4 years. And Durham is miles better than Plymouth for law.

Student debt isn't like other debts - tonnes of people don't ever pays theirs off, so adding on an extra £12000 will honestly make very little difference compared to your potential future earnings from a Durham law degree.
If you need to take a foundation year at Durham, it's highly probable you don't have the excellent A-Level grades to get into grad schemes at Law firms. I would take that into consideration.
Reply 6
Original post by thatapanydude
If you need to take a foundation year at Durham, it's highly probable you don't have the excellent A-Level grades to get into grad schemes at Law firms. I would take that into consideration.

Surely it would be my degree results that dictate this?
Surely it would be my degree results that dictate this?

At big law firms, they are pretty strict on A-Level grades regardless on degree results unless you have extenuating circumstances (which you have alluded to). Unless you have AAB minimum it's very difficult to get a magic circle job.
Hello!

I can either:

Thoughts please!

as someone experienced with this particular topic i will say as a bottom line:

- if you have excellent work experience = go with the less prestigious uni
- if you dont have excellent work experience = go with the more prestigious one

- if you don't have any real experience at all = consider if you'd be happy doing anything other than law, if you can find a more vocational course to study.
Reply 9
Original post by thatapanydude
At big law firms, they are pretty strict on A-Level grades regardless on degree results unless you have extenuating circumstances (which you have alluded to). Unless you have AAB minimum it's very difficult to get a magic circle job.

Thoughts @J-SP ? OP may be doing law via a foundation year.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello!

I can either:

Thoughts please!

I would spend 4 years at Durham. Be around smart, brilliant people who are driven to succeed; and on a course which really pushes you. Better scholarships too, if that's something you might be entitled to.

By the way, transferring would also take 4 years. Universities, especially good ones, are unwilling to accept second-year transfers for law. I remember in land law lecture our lecturer had her emails open and said "Ahh, that's a Plymouth student trying to transfer here" then a pause "don't worry, I said no!" It just doesn't happen, I am sorry to say.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
I'd definitely choose the better university. The debt won't matter as much as you might think; it'll all be written off eventually. It's worth the extra time if your employment opportunities are better in the long run.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending