Is it easier to transfer from UCL or LSE to Harvard/MIT? Watch

Adnan_1998
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, my father is moving back to the USA in 3 years. He wants me to go with him and I don't want to say no. I have UCL and LSE economics options available for degree. So I was thinking if I go with him, I can do my MA at Harvard/MIT since he will be moving very close to Massachusetts. Do you reckon I have a better chance of getting in for an MA at Harvard/MIT if I come from LSE or UCL?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Adnan_1998)
Hey, my father is moving back to the USA in 3 years. He wants me to go with him and I don't want to say no. I have UCL and LSE economics options available for degree. So I was thinking if I go with him, I can do my MA at Harvard/MIT since he will be moving very close to Massachusetts. Do you reckon I have a better chance of getting in for an MA at Harvard/MIT if I come from LSE or UCL?
I doubt it would make any difference, but ask Harvard. They are the only ones who can answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Appleorpear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
LSE is more prestigious, so probably LSE.
Adnan_1998
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
I doubt it would make any difference, but ask Harvard. They are the only ones who can answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do I ask them. Just phone up the admission office? Wont they say it won't matter anyway cuz they can't be biased?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Transfers to these universities are tough. Deliberately so.

Call them up and ask. They can only give you their honest opinion.

You may wish to consider starting your degree in the US if they're less amenable to having transfers who have studied a more focused 3 year degree abroad. Or moving with your father now and re-applying next year.
The Walking Dead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Appleorpear)
LSE is more prestigious, so probably LSE.
UCL doesn't accept transfers and the LSE does.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How do I ask them. Just phone up the admission office? Wont they say it won't matter anyway cuz they can't be biased?
No they will give you a straightforward answer, which I'm 99% sure will be it makes no difference.

To be clear, are you completing your bachelors at LSE/UCL and then applying for a masters at Harvard/MIT? That's not a transfer...
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The Walking Dead)
UCL doesn't accept transfers and the LSE does.
They are going from UK to USA, not the other way round.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To be clear, are you completing your bachelors at LSE/UCL and then applying for a masters at Harvard/MIT? That's not a transfer...
I suspect that the OP's focusing on the easy choices (which uni to go), rather than focusing on the hard, inevitable truth that they're gonna have to work damn hard to get a First with all the bells and whistles attached, irrespective of the university that they'll end up attending.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
I suspect that the OP's focusing on the easy choices (which uni to go), rather than focusing on the hard, inevitable truth that they're gonna have to work damn hard to get a First with all the bells and whistles attached, irrespective of the university that they'll end up attending.
Indeed yes.
Adnan_1998
Rep:
?
No they will give you a straightforward answer, which I'm 99% sure will be it makes no difference.

Yes sorry. I should have been clear. I meant transfer as in instead of doing MA at the same uni.
Adnan_1998
Rep:
?

Okay, Ill give them a call tomorrow. Thank you. Im just hoping they regard both equally. Makes my decisions a lot easier.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes sorry. I should have been clear. I meant transfer as in instead of doing MA at the same uni.
An MA is a postgraduate course. You don't transfer into an MA, you apply when you are completing your bachelors in the UK.

The acceptance rate for MAs at Harvard and MIT is approx 10%, so you don't just walk in...
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So you wish to complete your BSc in the UK, and then move on to an MA in the US?

Given that neither LSE or UCL offer integrate Master's (for Econ at least), you should be a bit more clear. It's not obvious to anyone here that you should do a postgrad at the same uni at which you did your undergrad.

Both LSE and UCL are world leading institutions in Econ. LSE may be better at research/more selective/whatever, but it doesn't mean that you get awarded brownie points for attending. Call Harvard etc. up, ask them for their views on this. Only they know what the answer is. Randomers on TSR don't.
Adnan_1998
Rep:
?
An MA is a postgraduate course. You don't transfer into an MA, you apply when you are completing your bachelors in the UK.

The acceptance rate for MAs at Harvard and MIT is approx 10%, so you don't just walk in...
That seems incredibly hard..10%. You've scared already haha
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just being realistic. And it's probably lower for international applicants.
Adnan_1998
Rep:
?
Just being realistic. And it's probably lower for international applicants.
Hmm, do you know anythings they looks for in international applicants? or again should I ask them that?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What did you expect? At that level, it's more about being a flawless candidate (both academically and in terms of your wider professional/academic experience) than whether you've gone to LSE or UCL.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmm, do you know anythings they looks for in international applicants? or again should I ask them that?
Have you checked the fees and any assistance entitlements you have? It seems as if you've done no research on this at all.
Adnan_1998
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
What did you expect? At that level, it's more about being a flawless candidate (both academically and in terms of your wider professional/academic experience) than whether you've gone to LSE or UCL.
I expected at least 12-14% to be perfectly honest. 10% just sounds demoralising.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads