Struggling to choose! Strathclyde vs Stirling

Watch
LinguisticAlison
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey so I'm in S6 and will most likely be going to University in September to study French and Spanish. I have 4 conditionals from: Stirling, Strathclyde, Edinburgh and Glasgow and I'm waiting on a reply from St. Andrews but the only ones I'm torn between are Strathclyde and Stirling.

I was at Strath's applicant day yesterday and to be honest it wasn't too bad, I loved the lecture for French and Spanish but I'm just not sure that it's the right place for me. Especially since I want to move out and I would be commuting to Strathclyde if I went there. However, I really want to go to Stirling and it seems amazing to me but the only issue is that my parents are adamant I stay home and they won't even let me go to their open day/ applicant day. (I had my open day place booked for a month and then a week before it they wouldn't let me go anymore because "You're going to a uni in Glasgow" but I don't think a city uni is right for me and I feel like the place for me to be is Stirling but I'm not entirely sure because I've never physically been there.

Anyone studied/studying French & Spanish at either or these Unis? What has your experience been like?
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Your parents are selfish.
roadtripboy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can't comment on the French & Spanish course at either university.

But as someone from Glasgow who really wanted to move out for uni and then didn't, my advice to you would be to move out if that's what you really want to do. To avoid repeating myself, I posted elsewhere on this subject here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post72537476

This "why would anyone want to go anywhere else" attitude in Glasgow really annoys me. I appreciate it sounds like you've got an uphill struggle with your parents, but you're only young once, and trust me - you don't want to find yourself on a slow bus into Glasgow with all your old school friends, going to the same old places every weekend, and wondering what might have been.

What exactly is the issue your parents have? May I suggest that you try and help them around the house as much as possible if it would convince them that you'e capable of looking after yourself? Or is it more related to cost? Just remember - it's your choice, not your parents' or your friends'!
LinguisticAlison
Rep:
?
(Original post by roadtripboy)
I can't comment on the French & Spanish course at either university.

But as someone from Glasgow who really wanted to move out for uni and then didn't, my advice to you would be to move out if that's what you really want to do. To avoid repeating myself, I posted elsewhere on this subject here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post72537476

This "why would anyone want to go anywhere else" attitude in Glasgow really annoys me. I appreciate it sounds like you've got an uphill struggle with your parents, but you're only young once, and trust me - you don't want to find yourself on a slow bus into Glasgow with all your old school friends, going to the same old places every weekend, and wondering what might have been.

What exactly is the issue your parents have? May I suggest that you try and help them around the house as much as possible if it would convince them that you'e capable of looking after yourself? Or is it more related to cost? Just remember - it's your choice, not your parents' or your friends'!
It's nothing to do with cost or my attitude! "There's too many bad people out there... it's not you we don't trust, it's other people etc." which I totally understand, but they don't seem to understand that 'bad people' will be everywhere you go. Stirling Uni (at least to me) seems like the safest uni to be with police there 24/7 and like loan taxis and proper security measures to get into the buildings and accomodation.
roadtripboy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LinguisticAlison)
It's nothing to do with cost or my attitude! "There's too many bad people out there... it's not you we don't trust, it's other people etc." which I totally understand, but they don't seem to understand that 'bad people' will be everywhere you go. Stirling Uni (at least to me) seems like the safest uni to be with police there 24/7 and like loan taxis and proper security measures to get into the buildings and accomodation.
I'm sorry to hear that. Seems a bit hypocritical of them when Glasgow is (or at least once was) the murder capital of Europe!!
LinguisticAlison
Rep:
?
(Original post by roadtripboy)
I'm sorry to hear that. Seems a bit hypocritical of them when Glasgow is (or at least once was) the murder capital of Europe!!
I firmed Stirling on Saturday and havent told them yet. I dont know when I will...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads