The Student Room Group
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe

Bucks New Uni - Adult Nursing

Hi just a few questions, i got an unconditional offer for bucks new uni however i'm really not convinced as to why i should study here.

Questions:

The town of Uxbridge is extremely diverse and multi cultural which is nice to see however i see lots of below standard shops which i think is a problem for prospecting students who want a part time job?

Are there any jobs as a care assistant near Uxbridge campus?

Also do nursing students have to go live in High Wycombe for the colleges student accommodation? Why have the prices hiked an extra £££ for the 2018-2019 year?

Are there any irish students studying in 2018-2019? I'd like to know!
Original post by Luckydude123
Hi just a few questions, i got an unconditional offer for bucks new uni however i'm really not convinced as to why i should study here.

Questions:

The town of Uxbridge is extremely diverse and multi cultural which is nice to see however i see lots of below standard shops which i think is a problem for prospecting students who want a part time job?

Are there any jobs as a care assistant near Uxbridge campus?

Also do nursing students have to go live in High Wycombe for the colleges student accommodation? Why have the prices hiked an extra £££ for the 2018-2019 year?

Are there any irish students studying in 2018-2019? I'd like to know!

Hi @Luckydude123

Thanks for your message, and congratulations on your unconditional offer to study at Bucks, that’s great!

Hopefully I can help answer a few of your questions here:

As you say there are lots of shops within Uxbridge. There’s the Intu and Pavilions shopping centres which have loads of big name brands within them, and there are restaurants within the town too which may provide a good opportunity for some part time work for you especially over the Christmas period when I know lots of retail places look for temporary staff. Uxbridge is right on the Metropolitan and Piccadilly tube lines and the transport links are great, so there may be options for you to explore work a little further afield too. If you choose to live in High Wycombe, there is a big shopping centre along with many restaurants within the town centre. Were there any particular types of shops that you were looking to work at?

In terms of work as a care assistant, I’m not sure what opportunities there would be when you start, but I’ve just done a quick internet search and I’ve found a few flexible vacancies locally so hopefully you’ll be able to find something when you’re here. There are many hospitals and organisations within the private sector locally that may be options for you. Another great option for you to get a flexible job role would to sign up as one of our student ambassadors. Here you’d have the opportunity to work at our open days and events, do office work, school visits, delivering campus tours, mentor school students, and much more! Current rates of pay are £8.15 per hour, and you can sign up for as much or as little work as you like, so you can fit this around your uni work and placements. It’s great to add to your CV too!

We also have a great careers and employability team that can help you to find work, and will also help with writing your CV, interview and application support etc. They’ll also support you with this for a period after you’ve graduated, our graduate employment rates are high for our nursing courses and many of our students find employment where they have completed placements during the course as we have a great reputation within the area.

For your accommodation, you have the opportunity to stay in our halls of residence near our main campus in High Wycombe. Living in High Wycombe will allow you easy access to our Students’ Union and main campus library, and fully embed yourself in the student experience. There is a free student shuttle bus between campuses which you are able to use. There is the option to rent privately within Uxbridge if you wish to stay closer to the campus where you’ll be based. We have a great relationship with NuPad Lettings in Uxbridge that have a variety of housing options available for students. It’s important to note however that this option is often more expensive as prices may not be inclusive of bills / Wi-Fi etc. I understand your concerns about the increase in the prices of our halls of residence, and although we try to keep the costs as low as possible for our students, unfortunately there are inflation factors such as increased maintenance costs that mean we do have to increase our prices on occasion.

We have lots of Irish students that come to study nursing here at Bucks so you definitely won’t be alone. There are loads of free clubs, societies and activities for you to get involved with through our Students’ Union so plenty of opportunity to meet new people and get settled in without worrying that it will cost you extra money to join!

I realise that this has turned into a really long reply, but I hope that this has helped answer some of your questions? Do let me know if there’s anything else you’d like to know!

We look forward to welcoming you soon

Laura
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending