GeorgiaEstelle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey, I'm receiving PIP mobility allowance and I'm in the support group section of ESA.
I'm needing to claim Student Finance to pay for my desired part-time course at Open University, is this possible? This will hopefully be next year as I'm currently undergoing a medical diagnosis which may make this question moot. I rely pretty heavily upon my ESA payments for paying bills, shopping and daily living in general and a significant loss in money will make things harder for my family and I. Would I qualify for a maintenance loan, going forward as an OU part-time student?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Catherine SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GeorgiaEstelle)
Hey, I'm receiving PIP mobility allowance and I'm in the support group section of ESA.
I'm needing to claim Student Finance to pay for my desired part-time course at Open University, is this possible? This will hopefully be next year as I'm currently undergoing a medical diagnosis which may make this question moot. I rely pretty heavily upon my ESA payments for paying bills, shopping and daily living in general and a significant loss in money will make things harder for my family and I. Would I qualify for a maintenance loan, going forward as an OU part-time student?
Thanks.
Hi Georgia,

When does your part-time course start?

Thanks

Catherine
GeorgiaEstelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Catherine SFE)
Hi Georgia,

When does your part-time course start?

Thanks

Catherine
Well, I'm looking at starting in 2019 but I might be able to start this year, The course states October as the starting month so I guess that might be the same in 2019 also.

Thanks.
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks.

Hi GeorgiaEstelle,

Open University courses attract part -time funding?

Can I as what is the level of qualification that you are looking at undertaking?

Secondly, have you had any previous full-time or part-time study?

Finally,do you already hold any qualifications?

Thanks Rona
GeorgiaEstelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rona SFE)
Hi GeorgiaEstelle,

Open University courses attract part -time funding?

Can I as what is the level of qualification that you are looking at undertaking?

Secondly, have you had any previous full-time or part-time study?

Finally,do you already hold any qualifications?

Thanks Rona
Hey,

Yes they allow part time funding and I'm wanting to go for A diploma of higher education in Education studies. It's been along time since I was in any form of education last (about 4yrs) and I came out of that with no qualifications.
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, Yes they allow part time funding and I'm wanting to go for A diploma of higher education in Education studies. It's been along time since I was in any form of education last (about 4yrs) and I came out of that with no qualifications.
Hi GeorgiaEstelle,

You are correct students undertaking a distance learning course due to a disability (including Distance Learning at the Open University ) are eligible to apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan PTML, as long as the course is eligible as well.

Currently for academic year 2018/19 students must be studying one of the following part time courses in order to be eligible to apply for a PTML:

• Bachelor Degree (with or without Honours)
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
  • Integrated Masters Degree
  • Graduate Diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Professional Graduate Certificate in Education
  • Foundation Degree in Dental Health/Dental Therapy
  • Diploma of Higher Education in Dental Health/Dental Therapy or Operating Department Practice

Any other qualifications with the exception of those listed above will not be eligible for the PTML during academic year 2018/19. More may be added in 2019. The only Diploma that is currently eligible for 2018 is the Diploma of Higher Education in Dental Health/Dental Therapy or Operating Department Practice.

However students studying a different undergraduate qualification as you are, can still receive a part time Tuition Fee loan and DSA support.

Regards Rona
GeorgiaEstelle
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply, is it really worth going forward and applying for DSA? I can't use it for anything other than disability related expenses and I don't have any that would require such funds.

Do you happen to know how much my ESA would be affected with these funds?

Many thanks.
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for the reply, is it really worth going forward and applying for DSA? I can't use it for anything other than disability related expenses and I don't have any that would require such funds.

Do you happen to know how much my ESA would be affected with these funds?

Many thanks.

Hi GeorgiaEstelle,

Part time students can apply for income related benefits if they're on a low income and meet certain conditions. We cannot advise regarding benefits.

You should ask your Jobcentre Plus or your local authority's Housing Benefit section how this will specifically affect your benefits. More information can be obtained from
www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators.

Thanks Rona
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads