The Student Room Group

Corbyn's Antisemitism

Strange there's no discussion on TSR about this yet. Jewish leaders do not seem very happy with Jeremy at the moment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/03/25/jeremy-corbyn-branded-hostile-jewish-leaders-labour-anti-semitism/

I'm rather of the school of thought where being a member of one antisemitic facebook group can just about conceivably be seen as an accident, but being a member of several plus repeatedly voicing support for antisemites starts to look like a pattern...

Maybe Shami Chakrabarti should look into it :holmes:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rinsed
Strange there's no discussion on TSR about this yet. Jewish leaders do not seem very happy with Jeremy at the moment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/03/25/jeremy-corbyn-branded-hostile-jewish-leaders-labour-anti-semitism/

I'm rather of the school of thought where being a member of one antisemitic facebook group can just about conceivably be seen as an accident, but being a member of several plus repeatedly voicing support for antisemites starts to look like a pattern...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43535710

He's meeting with said Jewish leaders and has apologised to them about pockets of anti-semitism in the Labour party and said he will work to improve this. If they accept his apology and are happy with what he says, this is a non-story.
Original post by Rinsed

She has, and found nothing substantial.

Her subsequent promotion afterwards had no effect on her decision.

Though I dont actually care about anti Semitism, it is generally indicative of current politics that the Labour Party has been shown to be so utterly spectacularly spineless. Tom Watson et al all virtually worship ST Corbyn all because he won them a few poxy seats against the worst Tory PM in memory
Original post by Davij038

Though I dont actually care about anti Semitism,

cos you fascist

You also tick the fascist box of admiring strength for it's own sake.

You want strength? Just watch us labour lefties deselect the PLP loosers anyway. XD
(edited 6 years ago)
Looks like a hidden agenda to help the Tories than anything tbh.
Original post by Rinsed

It's been discussed on another thread.

There is an antisemitism problem on the left. Corbyn belongs to to the part of it which is careless with who the allies are and not thinking enough about what is and isn't antisemitic.

Original post by mattchaamp
Looks like a hidden agenda to help the Tories than anything tbh.

It can be both. ANti-semitism exist and the Tories weaponise it for thier own politics. IF you are an anti-racist party you can not just ignore the concerns coming from jewish people about your own party.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
cos you fascist

You also tick the fascist box of admiring strength for it's own sake.

You want strength? Just watch us labour lefties deselect the PLP loosers anyway. XD

I don’t admire strength alone. Might doesn’t make right. But I do think it’s neccessary and healthy. I also don’t think it should be used until absoloutey neccessary.

Nuclear weapons and strong militaries have stopped more wars than any peace march and demonstration.

I wish labour would, but I doubt it.
Original post by Davij038
I don’t admire strength alone. Might doesn’t make right. But I do think it’s neccessary and healthy. I also don’t think it should be used until absoloutey neccessary.

Nuclear weapons and strong militaries have stopped more wars than any peace march and demonstration.

I wish labour would, but I doubt it.

A sign of strength is having your enemies wrapped around your finger. Corbyn fired Owen Smith's ass as soon as he stepped out of line. Compare that to the Tory front bench. The weakness of the melts and slugs in the PLP is a sign of Corbyn's strength.

Except all the million proxy wars. Directly between super powers yes, although we have come worrying close for variouse reasons, including error. Nukes did not for example stop the vietnam war. Internal American protest and civil dissobidance helped end that war.

Me to. The PLP will be a major barrier to a load of left wing stuff. It will be the 70s all over again.
(edited 6 years ago)

It can be both. IF you are an anti-racist party you can not just ignore the concerns coming from jewish people.

It could but that just undermines their protest and argument.

Corbyn has already apologised and made it clear hes against anti semitism. So theyve done anything but ignore it. Not to mention the fact that he didnt make any overtly anti semitic comments. It's pretty reasonable to see a misunderstanding here.

Frankly, ive seen more evidence of xenophobia and racism from UKIP than anti semitism from Labour. If only the right wing were more consistent and less hypocritical, maybe id actually take their "concerns" more serious. In fact the hashtag "#PredictTheNextCorbynSmear" was trending on twitter, showing that people are frankly fed up of these silly smears of anti semitism.

"

There is an antisemitism problem on the left.

No there isnt. The right wing are frustrated by real accusations of racism and xenophobia so they conjured a false equivalence by smearing the left too.
Original post by Rinsed
Whose hidden agenda exactly?

Poeple that want rid of Corbyn or want to damage the Labour party. Obviously. It's the tories actual job for example.

Please don't tell me this is news to you.

It also isn't hidden.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rinsed
He noticeably hasn't apologised for his own actions though.

Since there's nothing to be sorry for.
Original post by Rinsed
Cor, if that's your yardstick then Labour really are in trouble.

Cor, if selective replies is your only argument then the "anti semitic" decries really are getting desperate.
Original post by Rinsed
I rather think you represent the problem.

I was wondering how long it would be before the right wing SJWs called me anti semitic :biggrin::biggrin: didnt take long.
A sign of strength is having your enemies wrapped around your finger. Corbyn fired Owen Smith's ass as soon as he stepped out of line. Compare that to the Tory front bench. The weakness of the melts and slugs in the PLP is a sign of Corbyn's strength.

Sure.,

Except all the million proxy wars. Directly between super powers yes, although we have come worrying close for variouse reasons, including error. Nukes did not for example stop the vietnam war. Internal American protest and civil dissobidance helped end that war.

I’m an isolationist. Have a big army and nukes and mind your own business. Vietnam ended because it was demonstrably a failure.

Also the Cold War was a global ideological war.

Me to. The PLP will be a major barrier to a load of left wing stuff. It will be the 70s all over again.

Cool. I hope both parties drain the liberal swamp and we can have a genuine choice for once.
Original post by Rinsed
Genuine question, when the Jewish community gets upset about this stuff do you think they're making a fuss about nothing, or are they affecting offence to slander Corbyn?

First of all, it's pretty clear that most dont care. Many places with predominant jewish communities overwhelmingly voted labour.

Second of all, yes, it's pretty ****ing obvious that this latest "protest" is a political slander and defamation more than actual genuine concern.

If there are people who genuinely believe that Corbyn is anti semitic, then theyve fallen victim to right wing SJWs virtue signalling and making them believe that nonsense.
Original post by Rinsed
He noticeably hasn't apologised for his own actions though.

I am sure if he has caused offence as in individual he will apologise for it if needs be. I can't seem him agreeing to meet with said leaders and then not apologising.
Original post by Rinsed
Many constituencies with high Jewish populations voted Labour, but Jews make up a majority in zero constituencies. To extrapolate that to suggest most Jews must have voted Labour is a failure of mathematics. There was a poll last year saying only 13% of Jews were voting Labour, even though traditionally they've been a strong Labour group, so it has had an impact.

But your opinion is that the Jews (like Luciana Berger and the leaders of various Jewish groups) who have made clear their outrage are engaged in a campaign of slander?

We know that since Corbyn became leader in 2015, elements of the Labour Party (as well as the Tory party and media) have tried to oust him and have been willing to throw absolutely everything at him to do so no matter how ludicrous, desperately seeking for that 'gotcha' moment. Hence we had Labour MPs actually wanting Labour to lose the last election badly so that he would go.

Corbyn is also sceptical of Israel and critical of the Israeli government. One way to stop criticism of Israel is to make out that is is anti semitic. Some people even accused Ed Miliband of being a self-hating Jew so it's not a new accusation to be made. Anyone who criticises Israel seems to get branded as either anti-semitic or a self-hating Jew.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/ed-miliband-has-a-very-jewish-problem/

You mentioned that we should listen to Jewish people on the issue. Well I am Jewish but people don't seem interested in what I have to say on the issue or my experiences because it doesn't fit the narrative being pushed of 'Labour/Corbyn is anti-semitic'. He isn't.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rinsed
Genuine question, when the Jewish community gets upset about this stuff do you think they're making a fuss about nothing, or are they affecting offence to slander Corbyn?

Surely there needs to be an objective assessment though?

If the trans community state that denying the existence of 300 genders makes you transphobic, does that make it so? Of course not.
Original post by Rinsed
Many constituencies with high Jewish populations voted Labour, but Jews make up a majority in zero constituencies. To extrapolate that to suggest most Jews must have voted Labour is a failure of mathematics. There was a poll last year saying only 13% of Jews were voting Labour, even though traditionally they've been a strong Labour group, so it has had an impact.

Yes, but this tradition has been gone for quite a while now, it's not something that suddenly disappeared with Corbyn. Even under Miliband - himself from a Jewish background - polls indicated Jewish voters leant Tory by about 69-22 (and that was a few months before the election, so if anything things were probably worse for Labour on the day). The majority of Jewish MPs have been Tories pretty consistently since the 1980s.

Partly this is just changing demographics. Labour's natural base in the Jewish community - secular, working class Jews - which used to make up a substantial section of the community increasingly no longer does. Increasingly, secular Jews are middle class, and working class Jews are ultra-orthodox.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending