Barry1990
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
MY father is taking £500.00 a month off me for board is it too much when I'm earning about 1400 each month
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We have no idea where you live, what your house is like, what your dad's financial situation is, etc. It's impossible for anyone to give a proper answer.
Lily048
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Barry1990)
MY father is taking £500.00 a month off me for board is it too much when I'm earning about 1400 each month
I mean that’s steep. If that’s inclusive of use of car/insurance/lifts/food/any use of utilities to your delight/no time constraints/don’t have to cook for yourself/petrol for the car then I could maybe understand it.
I pay £150 at most and it includes all of the above and I earn £1200 ish a month.
And our house is a detached 3 bedroom in a nice area and we have 3 cars. 1 of which is mine.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What does it include? Is that your pre- or post- tax earnings? And how's your dad's financial position?

If you're getting all food etc included and not cleaning and your dad is really struggling and that's post-tax earnings then it's not unfair as you're still taking home a lot and it will be cheaper than anywhere else.

If you still have to buy food etc, your dad is well off and that's your pre tax earnings then it sounds pretty steep.

Obviously ultimately it's your dads house and his choice, if you'd be better off renting privately yourself you could choose to do so.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Barry1990)
Personally, my family and I aren't ones for the "kids" paying rent. Our view is that it was and will always be our house too.
That's not for all families though and especially depending on financial situation it is quite common for grown children to be paying rent. In that case the amount will depend on the house, the area, what's included in the rent, the financial situation of everybody etc.

What might help you work out if it's reasonable is taking a look at what a single room in a shared house would cost in your area (including whatever your rent goes towards in your dad's house). I would expect the amount you pay to family to be a little bit less than or about the same as that.
One place I lived £500 would cover rent on a whole house and half the bills for a month, other places it would barely cover two weeks. It depends a lot on where you live and what your family situation is.

If you think what you are paying currently is unreasonable you could always look into moving out into a shared house or flat. You could also talk to dad about it and see if you can work out something else.
cat_mac
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is it more than you would be paying if you moved out? What’s your Dad doing with the money? A lot of the parents I work with charge their kids rent but put it in a savings account for when they do move out.

If you’re over 18 and saving money by living at home then you just have to go along with the rules. I like to play the “if I could afford to move out, I would. I can’t save as much if I’m paying rent to you.” and the good old “I never asked to be born” card. But I was earning considerably less than you!
Alder0
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Meh idk.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (75)
16.52%
No one else does (141)
31.06%
I'm embarrassed about my background (51)
11.23%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (158)
34.8%
We don't use a video platform (7)
1.54%
I don't have a camera (10)
2.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (12)
2.64%

Watched Threads