The Student Room Group

Maths!?!

How ca I possibly go up a few grades in maths? All i seem to be doing is maths revision, constantly doing the edexcel specimen papers. However, I got a 3 in the mock and all i seem to be achieving is around 14/80 on each paper, give or take a few marks. Does anyone have any good tips as i’d really like a 5/6 in maths, preferably a 6. I’ve tried all the revision guides and youtube videos !!!
When completing past papers, read the question carefully and consider the information you have been given. Then, start to try the question. If you get stuck, spend as much time as you feel you need (at this point, there is no huge need to time your papers) to try and make progress. If you are stuck, look up key topic notes and attempt the question again. If you are still struggling, use model answers (should be available on YouTube or just by googling the paper). If that fails, and you are unable to understand the topic at all, ask your teacher for help. Good luck!
Thank you!!
Moved to Maths Exams
Reply 4
Getting 14/80 indicates to me that you are lacking very basic knowledge in a lot of topics. It is better to work on those specifically rather than to constantly do past papers.
If you're getting 3's then you probably don't know the content at all. Start revising from scratch. MathsGenie is good, do each topic.
I like to circle/highlight all the key bits of information in the question or even write them out again e.g. mass = 10kg, speed = 1m/s etc. to make sure I know exactly which keys bits of information I have that I will be using in my answer. Also once you’ve done a paper use the mark scheme to mark your answers and for every mark you lost make sure you fully understand why you didn’t get that question right and how to do it if a similar question comes up again. Maybe even spent however long it takes you to do a paper, mark it and then spend the next few hours going through each question making sure you understand what you should have done to get the question right and watching revision videos on the topic and answering some more similar question until you get them right and feel like you fully understand the topic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending