The Student Room Group

Can someone please mark my 2nd draft for my Higher History Assignment?

Hello, I have my Higher History assignment coming up, so I decided to do a timed draft, with only my 250 word sheet there to help me. I would be truly grateful if someone here could take a look and give it a mark out of 30. :biggrin:

Having not done history, I can't really help, but it's not really advisable to be posting coursework (even if it is in a draft format) online...Someone else could use it and then you could potentially be penalised. I can have it taken down if you want?
Original post by CraZy_Lewis26
X

As above. Plus I'd love to know how Germans, or anyone else for that matter, listened to the radio between 1815-1850...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
[QUOTE="ageshallnot;76789240"]As above. Plus I'd love to know how Germans, or anyone else for that matter, listened to the radio between 1815-1850...

That must have been written through nerves. 😂This assignment is scary long, you don't get marked off on inaccuracy.

Original post by Labrador99
Having not done history, I can't really help, but it's not really advisable to be posting coursework (even if it is in a draft format) online...Someone else could use it and then you could potentially be penalised. I can have it taken down if you want?

I never thought of that, but I understand. Yes please, I don't want anyone stealing my work 🙄
[QUOTE="CraZy_Lewis26;76789936"]
Original post by ageshallnot
As above. Plus I'd love to know how Germans, or anyone else for that matter, listened to the radio between 1815-1850...

That must have been written through nerves. 😂This assignment is scary long, you don't get marked off on inaccuracy.

I never thought of that, but I understand. Yes please, I don't want anyone stealing my work 🙄

I have edited the OP and quoted posts to remove your work and hopefully prevent anyone stealing it. :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
I have edited the OP and quoted posts to remove your work and hopefully prevent anyone stealing it. :smile:

A wise move, but the OP needs to understand that the page will have been indexed so submitting anything similar could show on a plagiarism checker, if applicable.

You are joking?

BTW here's something for you, though from memory now that your essay has been removed. Producing a quote by a historian and then saying "This proves/suggests blah..." isn't correct. It's the evidence gathered by the historian (which leads to them to say whatever they say) which is the proof.
Original post by ageshallnot
A wise move, but the OP needs to understand that the page will have been indexed so submitting anything similar could show on a plagiarism checker, if applicable.

Yeah, that is right. :smile: It's now up to OP whether they decide to submit something similar or not...It's quite unclear in documentation available to candidates whether the SQA put every piece of coursework though a plagiarism checker, and again, it depends on whether the risk of the action that could be taken (ranging from a warning to exam cancellation) if a plagiarism check comes back positive is one OP wants to take.
But in any case, the decision to post any piece of coursework online is not the best one to make.
At least it was only a draft that isn't getting marked by the SQA and could be very wrong lol.

And yeah, SQA don't take away marks on errors, they positive mark the assignment similar to a Maths exam
At least it was only a draft that isn't getting marked by the SQA and could be very wrong lol.

And yeah, SQA don't take away marks on errors, they positive mark the assignment similar to a Maths exam

Not arguing with you, but with the exam philosophy.

"Churchill became prime minister with the policy of appeasing Hitler" should get minus 10 not zero!!!

Ageshallnot is trying to teach you a lesson and a very important one.. If you want a decent mark in history then you need to be more precise in what you say.. No negative marking shouldnt make you complacent. If you are consistently inaccurate, then it creates an impression as to the level of your historical understanding and analysis. Sloppy essay will get you a sloppy essay mark.
Original post by 999tigger
Ageshallnot is trying to teach you a lesson and a very important one.. If you want a decent mark in history then you need to be more precise in what you say.. No negative marking shouldnt make you complacent. If you are consistently inaccurate, then it creates an impression as to the level of your historical understanding and analysis. Sloppy essay will get you a sloppy essay mark.

Totally agree. Especially as in this case @CraZy_Lewis26 mentioned the radio in two places, so not exactly a random error.

On my previous point about quotes from historians, you might want to look at
https://www.historytoday.com/robert-pearce/how-write-good-history-essay

Although aimed at A2 students it applies also to those taking Highers. Although useful in general, the specific point here is:

"Quite often in essays students give a generalisation and back it up with the opinion of an historian and since they have formulated the generalisation from the opinion, the argument is entirely circular, and therefore meaningless and unconvincing. It also fatuously presupposes that historians are infallible and omniscient gods. Unless you give real evidence to back up your view as historians do a generalisation is simply an assertion."
Hello, I have my Higher History assignment coming up, so I decided to do a timed draft, with only my 250 word sheet there to help me. I would be truly grateful if someone here could take a look and give it a mark out of 30. :biggrin:

could you show me your final draft?

Quick Reply