Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth me starting over with International Travel and Tourism Management? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I have a dilemma at the moment, I am deciding what course to do in September 2018, I was kicked out of my Foundation Degree in Science in International Travel and Tourism Management in December 2016, because my Disability support wasn't adequate, to tell you the truth, it was an absolute joke, I had a Note Taker, along with extra time on my assignments and a Learning Mentor (who didn't turn up until the 28th of November, the deadline for all coursework was the 10th of December, so I had literally no time to complete any work at all, I left 9 days after the deadline), I blame the college for doing this to me, now I am looking to start the same course again with my own college that I should have stayed with and which I have done the Level 2 and Level 3 Travel and Tourism qualifications with, I know the tutors very well, the college that kicked me off the course was a whole new college, I didn't know anyone at all, I was very lonely, had no friends and I couldn't do the work at all, no one helped me through this at all, I just left in the end because I couldn't do it anymore, no one to even talk to about how I was feeling while I was at college, I felt my main tutor was quite rude to me, the travel time down to the college was an hour sometimes an hour and a half, going down at 7:00am, then coming back home at 5:30pm sometimes 6:40pm, I couldn't do it anymore, would it be wise for me to do the whole course again but with the tutors I know and who will help me with the course? Travel and Tourism is the only thing I know and that I love to learn about, I would gladly do the course again, it was that horrible experience at the new college that put me off completely. My mum said to me to do a FD in IT, but I haven't studied it at A-Level, only GCSE which I passed with a B grade, to me IT is very boring, Travel and Tourism is very fun and I love learning about new cultures, new ways to bring tourists to destinations etc., I really want to get into the Leadership and People Management side of things of the FDSc as that is really what interests me, my aunt works in HR, so I find it very interesting what she does. I have suspected Asperger's as well and I have been put on the waiting list for a diagnosis, should I maybe wait and hold off the course until I get my appointment for the diagnosis and if I am diagnosed should I then apply for the course? That's what's making me struggle with life at the moment, I was struggling with the possibility of myself having Asperger's in college and that's part of the reason why I left my course (I was on the ASD waiting list for less than a year at that point, I still haven't got my appointment for diagnosis yet.)
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Tiziano's Boy)
    Hi everyone,

I have a dilemma at the moment, I am deciding what course to do in September 2018, I was kicked out of my Foundation Degree in Science in International Travel and Tourism Management in December 2016, because my Disability support wasn't adequate, to tell you the truth, it was an absolute joke, I had a Note Taker, along with extra time on my assignments and a Learning Mentor (who didn't turn up until the 28th of November, the deadline for all coursework was the 10th of December, so I had literally no time to complete any work at all, I left 9 days after the deadline), I blame the college for doing this to me, now I am looking to start the same course again with my own college that I should have stayed with and which I have done the Level 2 and Level 3 Travel and Tourism qualifications with, I know the tutors very well, the college that kicked me off the course was a whole new college, I didn't know anyone at all, I was very lonely, had no friends and I couldn't do the work at all, no one helped me through this at all, I just left in the end because I couldn't do it anymore, no one to even talk to about how I was feeling while I was at college, I felt my main tutor was quite rude to me, the travel time down to the college was an hour sometimes an hour and a half, going down at 7:00am, then coming back home at 5:30pm sometimes 6:40pm, I couldn't do it anymore, would it be wise for me to do the whole course again but with the tutors I know and who will help me with the course? Travel and Tourism is the only thing I know and that I love to learn about, I would gladly do the course again, it was that horrible experience at the new college that put me off completely. My mum said to me to do a FD in IT, but I haven't studied it at A-Level, only GCSE which I passed with a B grade, to me IT is very boring, Travel and Tourism is very fun and I love learning about new cultures, new ways to bring tourists to destinations etc., I really want to get into the Leadership and People Management side of things of the FDSc as that is really what interests me, my aunt works in HR, so I find it very interesting what she does. I have suspected Asperger's as well and I have been put on the waiting list for a diagnosis, should I maybe wait and hold off the course until I get my appointment for the diagnosis and if I am diagnosed should I then apply for the course? That's what's making me struggle with life at the moment, I was struggling with the possibility of myself having Asperger's in college and that's part of the reason why I left my course (I was on the ASD waiting list for less than a year at that point, I still haven't got my appointment for diagnosis yet.)
    Hi

Sorry for the late reply.

Sounds like you would be happy and at home doing it at the place you know rather than at university.

If you are diagnosed with whatever you have and its classed as a disability then you can get the protection fo the Equalities Act where they have to treat you equally and provide support. You could maybe find out what assistance they will arrange for you and see if its adequate before you start. talk to your tutors as well.Think about the weaknesses from your first poor experience and how you would manage them better this time round.

You would normally finish off foundation with a top up degree.

Talk to National Careers
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ontact-us/home

Student Disability helpline.
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/h...dents-helpline

Equality Advisory and support Service.
    http://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/app/ask

College and tutors ofc. Do a degree you enjoy and can get good grades in. Degree grade is more important than where you study in most cases. You might want to do a bit of research on job opportunities as well, I dont know how far your disabilities will make it more difficult, but people overcome such things.
    If you have thought ut through an are ready then go for it.
    Good luck.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.