LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi! I'm a first year Government and History student, and the Community Assistant for this subsection of the TSR.

I thought I'd just write a list of some things I wish I knew this time a year ago, when I'd just got my offer.

1) Be wary of all the "LSE Freshers" facebook groups. The vast majority are not associated with the university in any way. They will use fake facebook accounts to try to sell you "freshers bundles" to nights out in freshers week, but these events are really dodgy, rubbish, over-priced and nothing to do with LSE.

The ONLY thing you need to buy is the RAG band. This will go on sale on the LSE student union website a few days after A-level results day in August. It gets you into all 6 LSE specific club nights in freshers week, and includes a T-shirt in your house colour for Battle of the Halls. These are the events that the vast majority of LSE first years will attend, and are an amazing opportunity to meet LSE people. Plus, everyone from your halls will walk to these events together, so it's a great bonding experience.

2) Don't buy textbooks before you arrive. If you look on Amazon/Waterstones, you'll see all the textbooks you need for your course being sold for £60+

Wait until you get to campus, and then you'll find tonnes of second years trying to sell their old textbooks for £10-£20.

To be continued.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:woo:
Such a great thread.

Out of interest (I'm not coming to LSE ) is that RAG band on sale now?
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
:woo:
Such a great thread.

Out of interest (I'm not coming to LSE ) is that RAG band on sale now?
Thanks! And yep, the RAG band is now on sale on the LSESU website.
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
3) LSE has a big problem with scam/phishing emails.

When you get your LSE email account, you will get a lot of emails. When reading/opening these, use your judgement.

There are a lot of old LSE accounts that have been compromised, and scam artists use them to send out emails trying to get other people's LSE logins. If you ever get an email telling you that, e.g. Your email box is full and before you can get any new emails you need to click on their link and fill out your LSE login and password, then DON'T DO IT.

If your account is hacked in this way then it will take up to 3 weeks for you to get it back, in which time you will have no access to your emails, or any online readings/reading lists.

A clear sign that an email is fake is that it will be from e.g. Paul Carter (alumni). Think - why would an alumnus be emailing me about this?

If in doubt, forward it to the IT department and ask whether it's genuine.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
I don’t live in a hall should I still go to rag events? Afraid of going alone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (262)
54.47%
18-20 years old (no) (62)
12.89%
20-25 years old (yes) (80)
16.63%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
1.87%
25-30 years old (yes) (25)
5.2%