Wtf cant get appointment Watch

Malim347
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
just rang doctors took 20 minutes to get an appointment for 3 weeks later. This is awful as I can't even make that appointment. I have not been to doctors since 6 so I didn't know that this is actually a common problem for many people.

How do we sort this out?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Malim347)
just rang doctors took 20 minutes to get an appointment for 3 weeks later. This is awful as I can't even make that appointment. I have not been to doctors since 6 so I didn't know that this is actually a common problem for many people.

How do we sort this out?
It's a really common problem. Most surgeries I think have a policy where if you phone at 8am, you can get a same-day appointment. Depends on the surgery though. It's just how it is now - lots of people need to see a GP and there's not enough GPs or appointments to go around. What you could do is keep phoning every day to see if there's been a cancellation and you can get an earlier appointment.
Malim347
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
It's a really common problem. Most surgeries I think have a policy where if you phone at 8am, you can get a same-day appointment. Depends on the surgery though. It's just how it is now - lots of people need to see a GP and there's not enough GPs or appointments to go around. What you could do is keep phoning every day to see if there's been a cancellation and you can get an earlier appointment.
I will try again tomorrow. I just feel like it's unacceptable and that something has to be done.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I will try again tomorrow. I just feel like it's unacceptable and that something has to be done.
This isn't a brand new occurrence. It's been going on for years. Everyone feels the way you do.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Overall there's no realistic solution. GPs need way more funding so there can be more doctors. People can help a little by only going to the doctors when necessary (i.e. not for a cold, twisted ankle, cough, standard repeat prescription etc) but realistically that wouldn't solve it.

If you need to see a doctor sooner it's worth finding out if any local practices have a better waiting time - there probably won't be one with a 2 day wait and another with 3 weeks but there might be one with 10 days or something. You can also call on the day for an 'emergency' appointment if you need to see someone sooner (start calling a minute or two before they open and just keep calling and hope you get through before they're all gone).
Malim347
Rep:
?
It seems unlikely but could myself start learning medicine in my own time. From books as it wouldn't be a chore as I enjoy it. Obviously I know I can't get to the same level as a doctor but just some knowledge
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

How do we sort this out?
Unfortunately the NHS is quite busy so waiting weeks for an appointment with a GP can be normal. I agree it sucks.

What is it you're trying to book an appointment for? Some things are more time sensitive/ urgent so you can get sooner appointments for them (the surgery will have a few reserved for such cases).

Other than that, what can help getting a sooner appointment is keeping on checking for cancellations, not asking for a specific GP, asking for a phone appointment, seeing if it's something you can see the nurse for.

As far as getting some basic knowledge in medicine, that's a great idea. If that's not something you can do though you can also visit pharmacies. They have that basic knowledge and can give advice for a lot of issues. They can also say when you should see a GP.
The thing to bare in mind with that is that there are some things you just need to see a GP for cos only doctors can write prescriptions, run tests etc.

Hope that helps and that you get whatever this is sorted soon.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is this something a pharmacist can advise you on?
Malim347
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
Is this something a pharmacist can advise you on?
Just have a dodgy bump on my knee for about 2 weeks
MR1999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

How do we sort this out?
Try to make an online account to access your GP services. This will allow you to see all available appointments, both regular and extra hours, and book appointment yourself. You can also choose which doctor you get to see.

And added bonus is that you can book appointments any time you want, for example on weekends. This means that you can book cancellations first.
Malim347
Rep:
?
Y
(Original post by MR1999)
Try to make an online account to access your GP services. This will allow you to see all available appointments, both regular and extra hours, book them yourself. You can also choose which doctor you get to see.
You need a code for it. I don't have it
MR1999
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Y
You need a code for it. I don't have it
Yeah you need to go to your GP to get the code. Just ask at reception and they'll provide you all the details necessary.
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is there a walk in centre near where you live? You might have to wait a while to be seen, but a few hours is preferable to a few weeks, and they can advise you on what you should do next.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
You're hardly dying
MR1999
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kindred)
As far as getting some basic knowledge in medicine, that's a great idea.
This is a great point. The NHS website has information about many common illnesses and ailments. There's also advice on when to see your GP about it or if you should do things at home to treat yourself.
MR1999
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
You're hardly dying
Why would you go to a GP if you're dying?
Malim347
Rep:
?
You're hardly dying
Yeah I know in a way. However it could lead to something worst
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're hardly dying
It's not exactly something the OP can ignore either.
TheEnchantress
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

How do we sort this out?
I’m not trying to be rude but if your not dying then stop whining. You sound so entitled 😒 I mean it’s not like it’s the GP’s fault: it’s first come, first served. It’s like going to a shop and seeing a dress and then shopping around only to come back to realise all the dresses are sold out. Would you start screaming at the workers saying that they should have kept one on the side for you? Anyway you need to understand that it’s not the GP’s fault but instead the government who are not willing to fund anything related to the NHS 😕 And the doctors are already under so much pressure so cut them some slack as they can’t treat a million patients at once.
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I know in a way. However it could lead to something worst
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
It's not exactly something the OP can ignore either.
The OP should go and see a pharmacist first for this sort of thing. They will be able to recommend if the OP actually needs to see a doctor or not. Some pharmacists are independent prescribers so can prescribe just like doctors; if the pharmacist can prescribe it could cut out the need to see a GP completely depending on the circumstances of the ailment. If not then they can recommend over-the-counter medication and supplies until a GP appointment is available. You can walk in and ask to see a pharmacist in a private room, usually either within a very short space of time of walking in or later the same day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.58%
No (268)
33.42%

Watched Threads