The Student Room Group

How do i convince my parents to let me study abroad?

I am going to be applying to universities next year and i found an amazing med school in Ireland that 2 of my friends are planning to go to as well. I will also be studying for 5 years instead of 10 (if i go to my home country like my siblings). The university is also affordable but my biggest fear is that my parents wont let me go as i am barely allowed to hang out with friends as it is. (Oh and my dad studied in France and America when he was my age)
You'll be legally an adult. You don't need their permission.

You have a choice, make your own choices at the risk of arguments/damaging your relations with them. Or living your life under their thumb and ten years from now regretting it.

Neither option is ideal.
Reply 2
Original post by SophieSmall

You have a choice, make your own choices at the risk of arguments/damaging your relations with them. Or living your life under their thumb and ten years from now regretting it.

Neither option is ideal.

Maybe OP is south asian

you are never treated as an adult if you have south asian parents it seems....
Unless they're paying for everything, you don't need their permission.

Neither option is ideal.

Actually ill be 17 so i wont be legally an adult and i need them for my visa and plane tickets so i kind of do need their approval
They are actually paying for everything so i do need their permission
Original post by alexschmalex
Unless they're paying for everything, you don't need their permission.

They will be paying for everything so i do need their permission
Keep talking to them about it until they get frustrated and let you go 🤨👩🏽*⚕️
Original post by nearlydone1
They are actually paying for everything so i do need their permission

So you don't need their permission, you need their money.

Have you actually spoken to them about this yet?

Neither option is ideal.

yep it’s that easy. (smh)
Original post by bubblegumcat
yep it’s that easy. (smh)

Its not, especially since i will be 17 and ill need a visa and since im underage, i need a guardian. They are also the ones who will be paying for my tuition and flights and they will be my only source of income
I spoke to my mom about it today and she said yeah like im directly going to send you to Ireland. Lets wait and have this talk next year
I spoke to my mom about it today and she said yeah like im directly going to send you to Ireland. Lets wait and have this talk next year

Try taking the tack that it will enable you to understand a different culture and therefore if you need to treat tourists when they injure themselves or get injured you will be able to relate a little better and it will also give you stories to distract nervous patents which will improve your bed side manner and possibly give you experiences that will enable you to progress quickly in your chosen field and earn more money quickly not to mention you'll be earning 6 years earlier rather than if you stayed in your country and remember Dad did it.
Its not, especially since i will be 17 and ill need a visa and since im underage, i need a guardian. They are also the ones who will be paying for my tuition and flights and they will be my only source of income

i wasn’t agreeing with her i was being sarcastic, i know it’s not easy. Maybe draw up a list of pros (such as finishing in 5 years) and present it to them? maybe it will convince them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending