Have UK universities turned into a cash grab? Watch

Redza1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Seeing how pretty much anyone can go to university now, have UK universities simply turned into a business industry for the government and finance companies to make as much money as possible?
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To an extent, yes, in the era of capitalism everything that can be monetised will be.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The *****y ones have. They give a second rate degree at £9k a time. Profit = at least £7.5k
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
The *****y ones have. They give a second rate degree at £9k a time. Profit = at least £7.5k
Can you give an example?
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
Can you give an example?
Dance Performance at Bucks New University. Photography at Trinity St David. All you need to do is look at the worst rated unis in the country and what they offer.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dance Performance at Bucks New University. Photography at Trinity St David. All you need to do is look at the worst rated unis in the country and what they offer.
Neither of those courses cost less than £2,000 to teach.

Neither of those universities have a profit/surplus close to 83%.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
Neither of those courses cost less than £2,000 to teach.

Neither of those universities have a profit/surplus close to 83%.
Average lecture size for me - 300 on compulsory modules.
Cost of course - £9000
Salary of lecturers and buildings used (inc electricity etc...) don't come to £2.7m a year.
Other_Owl
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ever heard for the term Mickey Mouse degrees? Well scrapping those. The English universities will not that less £££.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Average lecture size for me - 300 on compulsory modules.
Cost of course - £9000
Salary of lecturers and buildings used (inc electricity etc...) don't come to £2.7m a year.
Are you on one of those two courses?

Do you get software, access to journals, wifi, email, student union support, mental health support services, a careers service?

If you’re not using those things you probably should have opted for an OU degree.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Redza1)
Seeing how pretty much anyone can go to university now, have UK universities simply turned into a business industry for the government and finance companies to make as much money as possible?
Pretty much anyone could go to uni before.
Government loses money.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
Are you on one of those two courses?

Do you get software, access to journals, wifi, email, student union support, mental health support services, a careers service?

If you’re not using those things you probably should have opted for an OU degree.
Software is bought on a uni-wide licence basis. Same with journals and a lot of online content like emails which are done in-house using IT technicians and third party software from Microsoft. As it's done on a uni-wide basis you can't find the per student cost. It's quite cheap too given the existence of educational licences for things and companies offering discounts to education providers. Then there's the govt grants to pay for a lot of it.

For courses taught using power point and lecturers the profit margin is going to be high. Arts an humanities make profit to fund more costly STEM courses.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Software is bought on a uni-wide licence basis. Same with journals and a lot of online content like emails which are done in-house using IT technicians and third party software from Microsoft. As it's done on a uni-wide basis you can't find the per student cost. It's quite cheap too given the existence of educational licences for things and companies offering discounts to education providers. Then there's the govt grants to pay for a lot of it.

For courses taught using power point and lecturers the profit margin is going to be high. Arts an humanities make profit to fund more costly STEM courses.
Did you order a prospectus from your university? Receive offer letters and welcome packages through the post? Do you know how much your university had to pay ucas for them processing your application? How much do you think it costs to create student ID cards including the software and hardware to create hundreds/thousands of cards in a few days? How much is your university obliged to pay towards widening access (it’s over £1k per student for universities that are allowed to charge over £6k)?

In 2010 £9k was enough to generate some profits from classroom based courses. Fees have increased well below inflation and well below the rates of national pay deals for academic staff since that calculation was made.

If you don’t think you’re getting value for money then you have three options:
1) leave the course
2) seek out more value for money by tapping into the resources and opportunities that you aren’t bothering with at the moment
3) carry on getting the bare minimum

It’s your money (well it’s not - 70% of graduates won’t come close to repaying their loans).
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Since marketisation of the sector, absolutely.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Since marketisation of the sector, absolutely.
Overall a good thing though.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Overall a good thing though.
Nope. A university should be about Education, not functioning like a business. Call me romantic. If you turn the system into a market you need to be prepared for universities to close, that hasn't really happened. And you end up focusing on places for international students because they're paying you more money, and so on. What is the purpose of higher education?
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nope. A university should be about Education, not functioning like a business. Call me romantic. If you turn the system into a market you need to be prepared for universities to close, that hasn't really happened. And you end up focusing on places for international students because they're paying you more money, and so on. What is the purpose of higher education?
Unis are about education. Both teaching and discovering new things. The alternative to the market has worst outcomes for each. If the government was in charge of funding there would be new political issues come elections (courses offered, funding given, how many places on a medicine course, lecture sizes etc...). Where today the uni decides everything based on the demand of students, the govt will decide it based on society. Govts arguing about equal funding for all courses would be a realistic issue whereas today the unis shift money about to boost the impact score on teaching and research.

Then there's the funding problem. A private uni takes donations from anyone and signs contracts to research things for a private company. Public unis could still do this. BUT there would be limitations. Can you image a govt allowing a public uni to accept a contract from an oil company to research ways to detect undetected oil? What about a foreign military using uni research to build weapons to use in a war zone? A company paying a uni to research the impact of a flagship govt policy if the uni came out against govt policy? The possibility of the govt influencing how unis operate to suppress what comes out of them is real.

That's the outcome of state unis. There will be political interests deciding what happens and they will go the same way as school (down in the international league tables).
Noodlestudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Redza1)
Most people go now because it’s extremely hard to get a job without having any degree really. It’s become almost a requirement to get a high paying job.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unis are about education. Both teaching and discovering new things. The alternative to the market has worst outcomes for each. If the government was in charge of funding there would be new political issues come elections (courses offered, funding given, how many places on a medicine course, lecture sizes etc...). Where today the uni decides everything based on the demand of students, the govt will decide it based on society. Govts arguing about equal funding for all courses would be a realistic issue whereas today the unis shift money about to boost the impact score on teaching and research.

Then there's the funding problem. A private uni takes donations from anyone and signs contracts to research things for a private company. Public unis could still do this. BUT there would be limitations. Can you image a govt allowing a public uni to accept a contract from an oil company to research ways to detect undetected oil? What about a foreign military using uni research to build weapons to use in a war zone? A company paying a uni to research the impact of a flagship govt policy if the uni came out against govt policy? The possibility of the govt influencing how unis operate to suppress what comes out of them is real.

That's the outcome of state unis. There will be political interests deciding what happens and they will go the same way as school (down in the international league tables).
Since when did the international leqgue tables mean anything? The alternative to the market is what we had before tuition fees and before polytecnics were converted. A system will admittedly less universities, probably less choice, and universities didn't use massive marketing operations to get students to pay them. We now have a system with 40% increases in unconditional offers because universities want bums on seats in order to survive. That's marketisation and I don't think it does any good. I'm not saying the old system was perfect, it wasn't. But marketisation is not a good thing.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Since when did the international leqgue tables mean anything? The alternative to the market is what we had before tuition fees and before polytecnics were converted. A system will admittedly less universities, probably less choice, and universities didn't use massive marketing operations to get students to pay them. We now have a system with 40% increases in unconditional offers because universities want bums on seats in order to survive. That's marketisation and I don't think it does any good. I'm not saying the old system was perfect, it wasn't. But marketisation is not a good thing.
Having more people at university is not necessarily a bad thing. They are there to learn something. Educated people are good for the country. The quality of the course won't be great, I'll give you that. Still, freedom to operate and students paying to study things they shouldn't be studying is preferable to politically controlled and influenced unis.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Having more people at university is not necessarily a bad thing. They are there to learn something. Educated people are good for the country. The quality of the course won't be great, I'll give you that. Still, freedom to operate and students paying to study things they shouldn't be studying is preferable to politically controlled and influenced unis.
Everything is politically controlled and influenced. If the Govt wanted to, they could take control over the universities, and dictate the sector. They don't and they don't for a reason, but that doesn't mean they can't. You can't argue that universities are free to operate when they are restricted on plenty of things, when tuition fees are state regulated, when you don't apply directly to universities (normally). This isn't a private system. This is a market-based system with a siginificant state influence, and the current mix of the two fails to be compatible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads