The Student Room Group

Going to uni in a relationship??

Ok so a bit of back story...

I started dating my boyfriend nearly a year ago now. We have always been long distance as he lives in Leicester and I live in London - for the past year I have also been on my gap year abroad in Paris. He has visited me numerous times and we've always seen each other when I come home for xmas etc. It has been extremely tough at times, but we've always got through any issues and have good communication.

As I am now looking towards uni, I see so many people saying the relationship won't work. For us, I feel uni will be easier as I will be going to Nottingham (only 30 mins away from Leicester) so finally we will be able to see each other on weekends and spend more time with one another.

However, I do understand meeting new people can change your mindset and I do worry that I won't be as easily accepted into the uni life/culture if I am in a relationship? I've never been the type to sleep around and get with loads of guys so I don't feel like that temptation would be a huge problem for me. I think if I did decide to be single, it would be purely to rid myself of the responsibility and to focus on myself at the start of a big change.

For anybody who has experienced it - would you say it is worth it? I don't want to throw away what I now believe to be the love of my life, but equally don't want to look back on this time with regret, wishing I'd lived uni to the fullest.

Any advice please??

Thank you!
Loads of people go to university in relationships. I almost thinks it’s a myth that people dump their partners before going or it doesn’t work, because I’ve been to university twice and many people I know, their relationships have been fine. I’m in one myself whilst at university, he’s in the same city but not at uni and I don’t see any issues. Once you get past freshers and uni life settles down you may very well regret it, although if I believed someone was the love of my life this idea wouldn’t even come into my head

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending