Which rhetorical devices are generally recognised by the AQA exam board? Watch

92carmnad
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
There are various rhetorical devices such as the rather simplistic anaphora, yet there are some less known instances such as traductio, which even if searched are very difficult to find.

Would rhetoric such as traductio be recognised as a correct use of terminology? I'm somewhat hesitant as to using a term such as this in an exam in case I am to not get marked for this.

Thanks in advance.
Lit teacher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
AQA regularly stress that students should not search for techniques to spot. For language and literature the focus is on the effect of the language on the reader, with correct terminology being the icing on the cake if used correctly. 'Traductio' is in most cases just an example of repetition. An answer which explained how the writer used repetition to emphasise the threat posed by the weather, contrasting with the clear skies at the end, would score just as highly as if 'traductio' had been used instead.

There is an awareness that students of average ability can be taught lists of terminology, and are able to spot some examples in the given text, but only those of higher ability can analyse the precise effects of language choice on the reader. This higher level analysis will probably make some use of terminology, but that will not be the feature that secures most of the marks.
92carmnad
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Typically, I choose a quote from the text to support my thesis, then analyse it's explicit meaning first of all, then draw out the implicit/ more complex ideas. Within this analysis, I have found to have done better when I have analysed complex terminology. For me, using the term 'repetition' is somewhat ambiguous so impacts the detail and relevance of my analysis. I understand that AQA suggests not to search for techniques, which I do not as such, but I find it to assist my analysis to have a quotation that contains a technique of some sort - showing further how the writer has crafted the text in order to achieve a certain effect on the reader.

What would you suggest in regards to my methodology?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (14)
5.91%
No (223)
94.09%

Watched Threads