I'm a bit confused on an evaluation point for a 20 marker on youth subcultures

Watch
Ilikeharrypotter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So the question is 'Evaluate the view that the role of youth subculture is to assist in the transition from childhood to adulthood.'

What I gathered from this question is that mainly Functionalists argue this point. However I came across a functionalist who is Parsons (1962) in which he argues that capitalism led to changes within an family shown by the fact that rite of passage is not celebrated in families anymore now, as in contemporary society its regarded as 'normal' for a child to transition from stages in their life. So he is basically saying that rite of passage isn't important now due to capitalism. Is this right and can i use this point as an evaluation to say that rite of passage isn't relevant today, even though he is a functionalist ?
hope.3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Parsons is the most important Functionalist!
So yes definitely use him and definitely use that point.

The idea of ‘rite of passage’ is incredibly important when discussing youth subcultures in Sociology.
Ilikeharrypotter
Rep:
?
(Original post by maria.3)
Parsons is the most important Functionalist!
So yes definitely use him and definitely use that point.

The idea of ‘rite of passage’ is incredibly important when discussing youth subcultures in Sociology.
So it's okay if i use him as an evaluation point
hope.3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ilikeharrypotter)
So it's okay if i use him as an evaluation point
yes absolutely
Ilikeharrypotter
Rep:
?
(Original post by maria.3)
yes absolutely
But can I structure my paragraph where i use Parsons (1942) where he sees rite of passage being important for youths that individuals must go through. And then in the same paragraph as evaluation can i use Parsons (1962) as he argues that capitalism led to changes within the family where they regard rite of passage not being important anymore.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (60)
40.82%
Take autumn exams (53)
36.05%
Look for a job (3)
2.04%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.72%
Take a year out (19)
12.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
5.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed