Micro Debate: Should pupils be allowed to go on holiday in term time?

Watch
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Some of you may remember the Microdebating forum from a few years ago... if not, then welcome to a new debating style here on TSR, and one with a twist.

Every Monday a new topic will be put up for debate, and your challenge is to get involved in the discussion, but only using up to 140 characters in each post, this post aside. Multiple posts are allowed, but no more than 2 posts in a row per person, please.

This week's topic is related to term-time absences for pupils - do you think they should be able to go on holiday during term-time? Did you, when you were in school?

According to this article, 16.9% of pupils missed at least half a day of lessons in 2016-17, compared with 14.7% the previous year. The number of unauthorized absences also rose, from 1.1% to 1.3%.

Note: You can also suggest topics for later weeks if you like, just tag me into a post with your suggestion
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But Twitter lets you do 280 chars/post
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
But Twitter lets you do 280 chars/post
You can do two 140 character posts in a row, it amounts to the same!
WillPhillips
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is absolutely absurd to let students take more time off school when we already have an adequate amount of holiday time.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If parents want to ruin the kids' education let them.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, there's already 13 weeks of holiday. That's over 3 months, plenty of time.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
Indifferent. they coiild make it so they either pre learn and get all the work done or have it sorted out with 4 weeks of returning. Just use some common sense i.e funerals or a few days absence.
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
we get plenty of holiday already.
good attendance = good grades imo
The PoliticalGuy
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We should rather make term holidays longer, which would essentially bring down holiday prices the main reason why people take their children on holiday during the term.
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
we get plenty of holiday already.
good attendance = good grades imo
Not really. I learn absolutely nothing from listening to a teacher/lecturer read notes off a powerpoint that was written a decade ago or copying notes off a whiteboard. I learn by doing questions and making mistakes. I learn more in the 2-3 weeks I study hard before an exam doing loads of past papers than I do in the previous 9 months of reading/listening to notes combined. But that's just me.

EDIT: And also, we are talking about missing 3 or 4 days of teaching here. 99% of school children have a very good attendance because it is the law to attend school so they have to go but not 99% of school children get good grades do they? Missing 3 or 4 days will have pretty much no effect on your exam performance and the work can easily be caught up with as long as you don't miss any coursework time.
eggyeol
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Unknown-99)
Not really. I learn absolutely nothing from listening to a teacher/lecturer read notes off a powerpoint that was written a decade ago or copying notes off a whiteboard. I learn by doing questions and making mistakes. I learn more in the 2-3 weeks I study hard before an exam doing loads of past papers than I do in the previous 9 months of reading/listening to notes combined. But that's just me.
I completely agree.

I feel like school gets in the way of my education tbf
hajima
Badges: 17
Report 2 years ago
No.
We already have generous time off of school, allowing people to take their children out of school whenever they fancy will not aid their education at all.
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by eggyeol)
I completely agree.

I feel like school gets in the way of my education tbf
A lot of the time I wouldn't even use my school notes anyway because I could find better and clearer explanations from a simple google search or from a study book that has the whole course condensed into only the stuff I need to know.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
At GCSE and A level/AS no. Prior to that then yeh. I had a week off at the end of every year because the schools did bugger all and i missed nothing and it was cheaper to go in this time before the rules about holidays changed. Never did me any harm.
Izzy56
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Holidays can be extremely expensive for most families during school holidays. 5 days off school will not likely impact on a child's education.
MJ1012
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What schools did you guys go to where you learnt so much!?
Anything under two weeks and I wouldn't have missed anything.maybe a kid throwing a chair or something.
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hajima)
No.
We already have generous time off of school, allowing people to take their children out of school whenever they fancy will not aid their education at all.
Holidays and flights are more expensive during school holidays and not everybody can afford to go during those periods which is why parents prefer to take their kids during term time for a few days because they can actually afford it otherwise their children would get no holidays at all.
hajima
Report 2 years ago
Holidays and flights are more expensive during school holidays and not everybody can afford to go during those periods which is why parents prefer to take their kids during term time for a few days because they can actually afford it otherwise their children would get no holidays at all.
Simply not an excuse to take your children out of school, going abroad is not a necessity, it's a luxury; they still get time out of school to take a break, just not abroad.
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hajima)
Simply not an excuse to take your children out of school, going abroad is not a necessity, it's a luxury; they still get time out of school to take a break, just not abroad.
I'm sorry but children deserve to see the outside world there are more important things in life than a lesson of maths. Missing a few days will do no harm. During GCSE/A Level they shouldn't go on holiday but before if they don't have exams then missing a few days won't ruin their future. If you are ill for a few days does that mean you are drowning in work when you go back to school? No, of course not so what is the problem with taking a few days out to live your life a little?
hajima
Report 2 years ago
I'm sorry but children deserve to see the outside world there are more important things in life than a lesson of maths. Missing a few days will do no harm. During GCSE/A Level they shouldn't go on holiday but before if they don't have exams then missing a few days won't ruin their future. If you are ill for a few days does that mean you are drowning in work when you go back to school? No, of course not so what is the problem with taking a few days out to live your life a little?
Every stage in education is important, they build upon each other to solidify a child's understanding. And just a couple of days out of school is 15 - 70 hours out of education ( 3 days - 2 weeks), that's a very long period of time, and many parents do not bother to catch their children up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (53)
8.75%
Confident (80)
13.2%
Indifferent (85)
14.03%
Unsure (156)
25.74%
Worried (232)
38.28%

Watched Threads