UK born living abroad for the last 10 years Watch

olga ashford
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello, my daughter was born in UK and lived until she was 8 years old, we moved to Mexico then and lived there for 10 years, she is 18 years old now and have been living in UK for the last academic year studying a course of higher education with excellent grades.Is she eligible to get student finance loan?
John B SFE
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by olga ashford)
Hello, my daughter was born in UK and lived until she was 8 years old, we moved to Mexico then and lived there for 10 years, she is 18 years old now and have been living in UK for the last academic year studying a course of higher education with excellent grades.Is she eligible to get student finance loan?
Hi Olga Ashford,

Part of the criteria for being eligible for Student Finance is that you must be resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to the 1st day of the 1st academic year. Based on the information you've provided, I'm afraid your daughter likely won't be eligible for Student Finance at this point.

We can consider students eligible if their break in residency was of a temporary nature, for example, if someone is on a temporary work contract or a temporary student visa. If this was the case and they could provide evidence of this, they'd still be eligible for Student Finance.

Best wishes,

John.
olga ashford
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by John B SFE)
Hi Olga Ashford,

Part of the criteria for being eligible for Student Finance is that you must be resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to the 1st day of the 1st academic year. Based on the information you've provided, I'm afraid your daughter likely won't be eligible for Student Finance at this point.

We can consider students eligible if their break in residency was of a temporary nature, for example, if someone is on a temporary work contract or a temporary student visa. If this was the case and they could provide evidence of this, they'd still be eligible for Student Finance.

Best wishes,

John.
Does it count that her father has been living there all this years paying tax and that she lived there until she was 8?
Rona SFE
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by olga ashford)
Does it count that her father has been living there all this years paying tax and that she lived there until she was 8?
Hi Olga,

To qualify for Higher Education support, a UK national, the student herself must meet the following residency requirements: be ordinarily resident in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the 3 years immediately before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course.

If they have been outside of the EEA, only temporary breaks in residency can be accepted.

If the break was not temporary, then once she has three years residency back in the UK she will be eligible for support.

Thanks Rona
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (159)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (84)
9.84%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (142)
16.63%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (122)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (82)
9.6%
How can I be the best version of myself? (265)
31.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed