The Student Room Group

How much work experience do I need to apply for medicine?

So I’m in year 12 and am planning on applying for medicine. I’m doing well in my A levels right now but of course grades aren’t the only thing that’s important. I was just wondering on average how much work experience do I need to be a good medicine candidate? I’ll be starting volunteering at the children’s ward at the hospital soon and will be doing that for at least a year, and I’m applying to shadow a Doctor which will probably take place over the summer. Do you think this would be enough? I could also volunteer at a care home in the summer.
Reply 1
Original post by Stressedoutxxx
So I’m in year 12 and am planning on applying for medicine. I’m doing well in my A levels right now but of course grades aren’t the only thing that’s important. I was just wondering on average how much work experience do I need to be a good medicine candidate? I’ll be starting volunteering at the children’s ward at the hospital soon and will be doing that for at least a year, and I’m applying to shadow a Doctor which will probably take place over the summer. Do you think this would be enough? I could also volunteer at a care home in the summer.

I got in with a year of volunteering, a week at the GP and a day shadowing a consultant.

It’s about what you learn from your placements.
Original post by S.G.
I got in with a year of volunteering, a week at the GP and a day shadowing a consultant.

It’s about what you learn from your placements.

Just out of interest are you a med student?
Reply 3
Original post by GrandMedic
Just out of interest are you a med student?

Yeah.
Not as much as people stress, that's for sure. My friend had only one week in a medical setting (hospital) and one medically irrelevant work experience in a primary school 2 years prior with about 5 months Oxfam volunteering and she now has an unconditional medical offer. You should be more than fine with what you have planned.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by S.G.
Yeah.

Nice! Which year are you in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending