The Student Room Group

What help do single mums get when they start university?

My course starts October 2018 (Full time) I have 2 kids under the ages of 5 years old.. I'm currently living with my kids, social housing (tenant) I wanted to know if there's any help I would receive towards childcare, rent & essentials for university & my course.. I'm currently on income support.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sherii93
My course starts October 2018 (Full time) I have 2 kids under the ages of 5 years old.. I'm currently living with my kids, social housing (tenant) I wanted to know if there's any help I would receive towards childcare, rent & essentials for university & my course.. I'm currently on income support.

This really is the sort of thing you should deeply think about and research before you even apply to university. Have you applied for any sort of student finance?
Reply 2
Original post by Glassapple
This really is the sort of thing you should deeply think about and research before you even apply to university. Have you applied for any sort of student finance?

I've been told i can't apply until july
Reply 3
What help do you get as a part time student when your a single parent with 2 kids under the ages of 5?
Reply 4
What help do you get as a part time student when your a single parent with 2 kids under the ages of 5?

Have you studied before?

It's very uni and circumstance dependent. What sort of help are you looking for?
Reply 7
Original post by Tiger Rag
Have you studied before?

No
Reply 8
Original post by alleycat393
It's very uni and circumstance dependent. What sort of help are you looking for?

Well im wondering if i will still be able to claim income support & housing benefits.
Will i get extra support such as buying essentials for university? Be on enough income to support myself and my kids..
No

Hi sherii93,

When does your course start?

Thanks

Catherine
Well im wondering if i will still be able to claim income support & housing benefits.
Will i get extra support such as buying essentials for university? Be on enough income to support myself and my kids..

I think it depends on what you get from student finance but your council is best placed to advise.
Reply 11
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi sherii93,

When does your course start?

Thanks

Catherine

October
Reply 12
I think it depends on what you get from student finance but your council is best placed to advise.

What i get from student finance would go straight to the university to pay for the cost of the course.

Hi sherii93,

You have said you are looking to start a new part-time course from October , can I ask you what it is you are looking to undertake and the level of qualification.

Thanks Rona
What i get from student finance would go straight to the university to pay for the cost of the course.

Not necessarily. Student finance do a tuition fee and maintenance grant which are means assessed. Have you done any research into this at all? Because you don't really seem to know what you are entitled to and from whom.

Hi,

It looks like you're already getting help from SFE. Please do not create additional threads about the same thing.
Reply 16
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi sherii93,

You have said you are looking to start a new part-time course from October , can I ask you what it is you are looking to undertake and the level of qualification.

Thanks Rona

Undergraduate
Reply 17
Undergraduate

Health & Social care
Reply 18
Not necessarily. Student finance do a tuition fee and maintenance grant which are means assessed. Have you done any research into this at all? Because you don't really seem to know what you are entitled to and from whom.

No🙈
Health & Social care

HI sherii93,

Students must study at a minimum of at least 25% intensity (in one Academic Year) for up to a maximum of 16 years to be eligible for funding. Entitlement For part-time courses starting on or after the 1 August 2018, Universities and Colleges in England can charge tuition fees of up to £6,935.
The tuition fees will be paid in the same manner as full time. This means the tuition fees will be paid directly to the universityin 3 instalments during the Academic Year.

We are introducing a part time maintenance loan (PTML) for eligible part time undergraduate students who are commencing a new part time course from academic year 2018/19.

This loan will be available in addition to the existing tuition fee loan and disabled students allowance

Benefits for students depend on your personal circumstances such as your income and any savings you may have. Your benefits may stop if the income you get through student finance is too high.

The Job Centre Plus (JCP) will take into account any loans and grants, both undergraduate and postgraduate, when calculating your entitlement to benefits. You should ask your Jobcentre Plus or your local authority's Housing Benefit section how this will specifically affect your benefits. More information can be obtained from the Benefits Calculator, here is a link,https://bit.ly/1G45CvmThanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending