The Student Room Group

English help

I really need help with English literature/language, it used to be one of my best subjects but now I’ve gotten worse. Does anyone have any tips on how I could push my grade to a 7?
Language papers are the same exercises every year (at least with the board im doing) so I would just do loads of past papers and ask my english teacher for advice on how to do them. For literature, you need to read your texts over and make notes on them. For poems, research context about the author and make sure you know what the poem is about, then annotate poems with the different images and poetic techniques you find. Learn the types of technique (like personification and anaphora) and all the poem vocab (stanza etc.) as well as the different meters, types of sonnet, etc. off of BBC bitesize or sparknotes. For novels and plays, find out context about the author, and find out what social message the author is conveying in the novel/play. Then read the novel/play, making notes about how the author conveys themes and portrays characters throughout the novel. If this is difficult, just go on shmoop, sparknotes or litcharts to give you an idea of what the themes and characters are about. If you have time, do practice exam essays, even doing only e few really helps your technique
Original post by im not a bot
Language papers are the same exercises every year (at least with the board im doing) so I would just do loads of past papers and ask my english teacher for advice on how to do them. For literature, you need to read your texts over and make notes on them. For poems, research context about the author and make sure you know what the poem is about, then annotate poems with the different images and poetic techniques you find. Learn the types of technique (like personification and anaphora) and all the poem vocab (stanza etc.) as well as the different meters, types of sonnet, etc. off of BBC bitesize or sparknotes. For novels and plays, find out context about the author, and find out what social message the author is conveying in the novel/play. Then read the novel/play, making notes about how the author conveys themes and portrays characters throughout the novel. If this is difficult, just go on shmoop, sparknotes or litcharts to give you an idea of what the themes and characters are about. If you have time, do practice exam essays, even doing only e few really helps your technique

Okayy, thank youuu☺️

Quick Reply

Latest