The Student Room Group

What options do I have for a loan and scholarship as an international student?

I live in the U.S. but I'm an EU national. My question is, since the cost of university in the UK is too prohibitive for me to pay upfront, would it be possible to take out a loan in the UK without paying insane interest rates if I don't have any credit history? From what I can gather, Student Finance England is only for students who reside in England. In addition, are there any options when it comes to scholarships, and how would one go about finding/applying to one of them?
Original post by hrstissiaopai
I live in the U.S. but I'm an EU national. My question is, since the cost of university in the UK is too prohibitive for me to pay upfront, would it be possible to take out a loan in the UK without paying insane interest rates if I don't have any credit history? From what I can gather, Student Finance England is only for students who reside in England. In addition, are there any options when it comes to scholarships, and how would one go about finding/applying to one of them?

Hi hrstissiaopai,

In order to be eligible for funding from Student Finance as an EU National you would have to meet the following .

Lived in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course

Be living in the United Kingdom on the first day of the first term of their course

Be attending a course which attracts funding.

If you wish information on scholarships, I would suggest that you contact the Universities or colleges directly to discuss funding that maybe available.

Thanks

Louise
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi hrstissiaopai,

In order to be eligible for funding from Student Finance as an EU National you would have to meet the following .

Be living in the United Kingdom on the first day of the first term of their course

Louise

In other words, I could move to the UK just before the term starts and take out an interest-free loan in that time?
Original post by hrstissiaopai

Hi hrstissiaopai,

EU Nationals studying in England who don't have the relevant years residency within the United Kingdom will be eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan as an EU student.

In order to apply they must meet the following residency criteria:

resident within the EEA/Switzerland for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course (we can consider temporary absence breaks)

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending