AQA A-level Chemistry Exam papers easier than CIE?

Watch
mafk80
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was wondering whether any of you people doing CIE A-level Chemistry have attempted any of the AQA A-level Chemistry past papers?

I know that CIE has lower grade boundaries because the questions tend to be more difficult, but something isn't making sense to me.

I recently attempted Unit 1, Unit 2 and Unit 4 AQA 2010 past papers, together with the three variants of paper 2 from CIE May/June 2010, and this is how my scores compare:

CIE 9701/21 Paper 2
Raw score = 41/60, Grade = B (an A is 45/60).

CIE 9701/22 Paper 2
Raw score = 46/60, Grade = B (an A is 47/60).

CIE 9701/23 Paper 2
Raw score = 45/60, Grade = A (an A is 45/60)

Compared to these scores for AQA....

AQA Unit 1
Raw score = 65/70, Grade = A (an A is 58/70)

AQA Unit 2
Raw score = 77/100, Grade = A (an A is 71/100)

Seeing as the exact same topics are being tested in the above past papers, I am confused as to how different the scores are. Grade boundaries aside, surely something else is going on here..

Has anyone else done this and compared their results between boards?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Were the AQA ones from 2010 also? Bare in mind that non international a-levels have been reformed now so there will be harder questions on AQA papers
mafk80
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was referring to the AQA Units 1-5 papers from this site:
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...vel-chemistry/
Are the above papers easier than the current ones?Thanks.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mafk80)
I was referring to the AQA Units 1-5 papers from this site:
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...vel-chemistry/
Are the above papers easier than the current ones?Thanks.
Yes, definitely, I'd argue that the CIE A-level papers are easier than the new reformed ones, especially as it's still in the old modular style
mafk80
Rep:
?
Ok. Thanks for the insight Could you possibly send me a couple of past papers for the new AQA style exams? I am curious as to how difficult they are. I am surprised that they are more difficult than CIE; I always had the impression that CIE Chemistry was the hardest across all exam boards.

Thanks in advance.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok. Thanks for the insight Could you possibly send me a couple of past papers for the new AQA style exams? I am curious as to how difficult they are. I am surprised that they are more difficult than CIE; I always had the impression that CIE Chemistry was the hardest across all exam boards.

Thanks in advance.
You should be able to find them in the website you linked or failing that on the AQA website itself. If you look at a post 2015 A-level chemistry paper then look at a CIE Paper 4 or 5 you can definitely see a difference
mafk80
Rep:
?
Thanks! I will take the 2016 AQA past papers for chem within the next few days and let you know my thoughts.
Louie Ablett
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was wondering whether any of you people doing CIE A-level Chemistry have attempted any of the AQA A-level Chemistry past papers?

I know that CIE has lower grade boundaries because the questions tend to be more difficult, but something isn't making sense to me.

I recently attempted Unit 1, Unit 2 and Unit 4 AQA 2010 past papers, together with the three variants of paper 2 from CIE May/June 2010, and this is how my scores compare:

CIE 9701/21 Paper 2
Raw score = 41/60, Grade = B (an A is 45/60).

CIE 9701/22 Paper 2
Raw score = 46/60, Grade = B (an A is 47/60).

CIE 9701/23 Paper 2
Raw score = 45/60, Grade = A (an A is 45/60)

Compared to these scores for AQA....

AQA Unit 1
Raw score = 65/70, Grade = A (an A is 58/70)

AQA Unit 2
Raw score = 77/100, Grade = A (an A is 71/100)

Seeing as the exact same topics are being tested in the above past papers, I am confused as to how different the scores are. Grade boundaries aside, surely something else is going on here..

Has anyone else done this and compared their results between boards?
My college has always told me (and my AA used to work at Cambridge, he also studied engineering there) that CIE exams are much harder than their equiv. exams, eg I-A Level and IGCSE are harder than A levels and GCSEs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (107)
60.45%
No (36)
20.34%
Not sure (34)
19.21%

Watched Threads