Any uni ideas? Watch

bluebells1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Had my heart set on doing english and/or creative writing since as long as I can remember, but keeping options open to me, what would these A Levels im doing potentially lead onto?

English lang/lit
Spanish
Psychology

I've considered perhaps something to do with mental health or counselling.
My interests lie a lot in books (wanting to be a writer when I'm older, although I need a job first and that's why I'm worried I need to do a degree that guarantees a job at the end of it. I would love english and creative writing but teaching, journalism and media just dont interest me as career pathways and that's all the unis ever talk about!)
I also love helping people and animals and the Spanish culture.
Any advice? I know I should stick to what my interests are but from a purely job-orientated point of view what's the best pathway ?
Nottingham Trent University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey bluebells1

Great to hear that you are starting to think about what courses you would like to study at University

Firstly, you have a really broad set of A-levels which is great - this means that you will be able to pick a relatively broad degree should you wish, something that I wanted to do when picking what course to study.

In terms of picking a degree fo your future, you mentioned that you would like to study one that almost guarantees you one, unfortunately no degree will do so and in my opnion if you are passionate about something (which sounds like you are about writing) then you should put all of your efforts into that.

At NTU we offer a creative writing course - it is designed for talented and committed writers, this course will introduce you to the intricacies of writing including plot, characterisation and narrative study. Plus, no journalism in sight!

As well as this, there are plenty of opportunites to explore Spanish culture - NTU offers an International exchange where you’ll experience other cultures, travel the globe and open your eyes to a world of opportunities. Our exchange partnership with a number of international universities enables you to live and study in another country in your second year.

You can also learn a new language - Alongside your study you also have the opportunity to learn a new language. The University Language Programme (ULP) is available to all students and gives you the option of learning a totally new language or improving the skills you already have. Learning a new language can enhance your communication skills, enrich your experience when travelling abroad and boost your career prospects.

There are of course plenty of other courses and plenty of universities available - so my advice would be to check out some courses that you like the look of and do some research in to the career prospects that interest you the most!

Hope this helps, don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions

Chris
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by bluebells1)
teaching, journalism and media just dont interest me as career pathways
What does? Writing can be a wide field.

Moved to Applications and UCAS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads