Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just curious about this.

What is your school policy on Highers in S4, personally I wouldn't even have wanted to but I know about 5 people took Higher PE early, 4 took Higher French early, 1 took Chemistry and last year someone took English.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by MLM99)
    Just curious about this.

What is your school policy on Highers in S4, personally I wouldn't even have wanted to but I know about 5 people took Higher PE early, 4 took Higher French early, 1 took Chemistry and last year someone took English.
    A few people in the current S4 at my school are doing a higher...PE, music, French and Computing I think...It's small minority and sometimes (depending on the subject) they have to do a lot of persuasion, other subjects ask people if they want to do higher.

ReputationRep:
    Some people in my school did French-it just depends on your ability in the subject.
    Personally I wouldn't, I'd rather do all nat 5's one year, highers the following and the ah

ReputationRep:
    There was never an option for us - only a couple people are taking more than the allocated 6 N5's here.

ReputationRep:
    I know that a few S4s in my school do Highers if they are amazing at what they do and with a bit of persuasion. The Highers that S4s in my school that I heard can do are: Higher Drama, Music, PE and even Maths! As for Maths however, it is more uncommon to go straight into Higher compared to Drama, Music and PE at school.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't know anyone who did highers in my school in S4.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’ve known a few people who have done Higher Music in 4th year because they were already at such a high level. Another one I know people have done early is Modern Languages if it’s their first/second language and they’d like to sit the exam. I think it takes a bit of persuasion for the school, or in some schools it’s recommended because for example, if someone is extremely talented at music, they might as well be at the next level.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to mention, I know a girl at another school who is doing Higher Maths and Higher Music this year.

I think everyone I know doing Highers in S4 is near the top of that class and is going on to AH next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MLM99)
    Forgot to mention, I know a girl at another school who is doing Higher Maths and Higher Music this year.

I think everyone I know doing Highers in S4 is near the top of that class and is going on to AH next year.
    They shouldn't be able to stop you doing subjects a year early if you demonstrate the sufficient knowledge.

I'm my experience all schools should let you do Highers in S4 if you show them that you have some or all of the knowledge required in the Higher course (through self-study)

Some school will let you do Highers in S4 if your knowledge of National 5 is exceptional and you and your teachers come to the mutual agreement that National 5s are not challenging enough for you

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I know someone doing advanced higher maths in S4!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e^iπ)
    They shouldn't be able to stop you doing subjects a year early if you demonstrate the sufficient knowledge.

I'm my experience all schools should let you do Highers in S4 if you show them that you have some or all of the knowledge required in the Higher course (through self-study)

Some school will let you do Highers in S4 if your knowledge of National 5 is exceptional and you and your teachers come to the mutual agreement that National 5s are not challenging enough for you

Hope this helps
    I agree, my school does a pretty good job letting people do Highers when capable, although they didn't let the one doing Higher Chemistry start until S4 even though he finished N5 in S1.

Personally, I wouldn't to as 1. I was nowhere near capable at the start of this year and 2. A lot of unis actually dislike it as it means pupils aren't always taking the preferred amount of subjects in one year, the kid doing Chemistry in my year wants to apply for Medicine and because he has to sit 5 Highers or 4H and 1AH in S5 and 2 AH in S6 because he will do AH Chemistry this year he needs to crash Higher Physics (not that it will be a problem for him) so he can do the AH Physics in S6 to have the grades for Medicine.

Just seems overly complicated but I guess that's why it's for he exceptional kids

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.