The Student Room Group

My Journey to Be the Top One Percent

This is my second shot at making a GYG, my first attempt being an utter failure since I'm a complete rookie at this and my not bothering to update it after the first post. Buut here goes!

I'm an extremely driven, quiet, bookish and passionate human being who also loves studying. If extremely intense, focused and vigorous GYG threads aren't your cup of tea, then feel free to exit.

The title of the thread comes from the mantra that I've repeated so often that I reckon it's been permanently seared into my brain: to be the top one percent, you have to be willing to do what the other ninety-nine percent aren't.

I feel like that mantra perfectly encapsulates what type of learner/student I am - I am always going above and beyond the syllabus, reading and researching further, constantly finding ways to improve myself and finding new revision and learning techniques. I really love learning and studying just adds a competitive incentive for me - I'm a fiercely focussed and driven person and dare I say it, a little competitive. I've always directed all my energy into achieving my goals, maximising my potential and achieving the highest results. I eventually want to graduate as dux.

Maybe you're wondering why I may or may not have an intense mentality. I attend mercilessly competitive school for gifted and talented students in Sydney, Australia. I really like The Student Room since it has more resources and forums than anything remotely comparable in tiny ol' Australia. I hope my being from Australia won't hinder my thread in any way - revising is such a universal thing that I don't think it will matter.

I've just spat out this whole spiel about achievement and studying but I'm a fraud. I'm really just an ordinary teen (I'd like to think at least) and this is the part where I convince you all that I'm totally well-adjusted and balanced (whatever that is!). Just kidding. Or am I?

My whole life doesn't revolve around 'study' - I have a lot of extracurricular activities and passion projects outside of school. I write a lot of short stories, novels, poems. I watch a hell of a lot of films. I collect an awful amount of film stills for my cinematography appreciation folder on my laptop. My passion is cinema; particularly arthouse, foreign and old films. I also adore literature and music. I appreciate a good book, a wonderful film and a dazzling album.

I'm looking forward to making the most out of the Grow Your Grades experience! I think it will be an excellent platform for me to motivate other students as well as myself.

My ultimate study hero is Rory Gilmore from Gilmore Girls. I aspire to be as kind, caring and hard-working as she is!

Before I sign off, here are some little details :smile:

- Name: M.C

- Subjects: Advanced English, English Ext 1, Advanced Maths, Philosophy, Modern History, Legal Studies, Economics

Reply 1

27/3/2018 - the first sick day of the year + 28/3 - getting back into the grind

27/3/2018

Was very sick last night so stayed at home today - my body was feeling quite weak

I missed out on only 2 classes today so I luckily minimised my academic damage

I self-studied legal studies today: I read the beginning of the new topic in the textbook and made some basic notes

organised my notes, books and syllabus

English extension is pretty much a lost cause for now: we do nothing in class except read summaries out loud each lesson - I'm hoping it will pick up soon

I read a lot today - Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck and a philosophy book

Had a novel idea but couldn’t flesh it out and put it down on paper - the idea of an epic intergenerational family novel lingers in my mind

I watched an entire miniseries in a few hours- Collateral was good escape from the day

I was VERY productive in the evening

Focused session of maths study: pages of precalculus questions and a test paper from another school

Starting to realise how therapeutic maths is for my frazzled, stressed mind

spent a few hours working on advanced maths problems; took a break by watching University Challenge (i love it so much god bless)

lost track of time and eventually had to sleep for my health - I did get a lot of maths done!

28/3/2018

I went back to school today and was feeling very peppy

nothing much to report; classes were fine and I'd read ahead

watched an hour-long philosophy lecture by Michael Sandel in Philosophy class - fascinating!

I had two hours of maths tuition today - I'm starting to love maths, particularly the pleasure and calm that comes with solving problems

I think I've improved massively since I've started having faith and confidence in myself and finding joy in maths

My standing in class has boosted recently - the teacher often refers to me for answers

I sit next to the first in class and we always turn to each other to validate our answers. He's super nice and can always pinpoint my mathematical slipups

I'm just really proud of myself since I've always put myself down as terrible at maths. Turns out I just need to put in the effort and have more confidence in myself

IF YOU'RE WEAK IN SOMETHING JUST WORK ON IT AND BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending