The Student Room Group

Would You Apply for A Job...If You Knew You Would Be Missing The First Month Of Work

Essentially this is a bit of a random question as someone asked me this and I couldnt answer it :s-smilie:

Say if you knew a person who wanted to apply for job but said job starts whilst they are on a long (non-refundable) holiday and you would consequently miss the first month and a bit, would you still apply for it?

My answer incidentally was

Spoiler

Original post by quasa
Essentially this is a bit of a random question as someone asked me this and I couldnt answer it :s-smilie:

Say if you knew a person who wanted to apply for job but said job starts whilst they are on a long (non-refundable) holiday and you would consequently miss the first month and a bit, would you still apply for it?

My answer incidentally was

Spoiler

Can't see any employer letting you start tbh. What's in it for them to pay you for that time?
Original post by threeportdrift
Can't see any employer letting you start tbh. What's in it for them to pay you for that time?

thus why I gave my answer :lol: (read the spilers in my 1st post / the 1st post of the thread).

I just wanted to see if people agreed with my answer or should I have approached it more delicately with the individual.

Not only that but essentially the person could (or most likely would) have to use all their holiday for that period of time meaning they will have no holiday left. furthermore, a lot of courses (in healthcare especially or working in new environments), the 1st month is literally training / getting acclimatised to the new environment. If you have no induction training, your like a headless chicken running a maze

EDIT: I felt i didnt answer the question as the person looked more confused when I gave my answer :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Depends on the job. Some places require DBS checks that can take a month or two before you start, but don't expect anyone to sign you into a contract when you're away for the first month.
Original post by quasa
thus why I gave my answer :lol: (read the spilers in my 1st post / the 1st post of the thread).

I just wanted to see if people agreed with my answer or should I have approached it more delicately with the individual.

Not only that but essentially the person could (or most likely would) have to use all their holiday for that period of time meaning they will have no holiday left. furthermore, a lot of courses (in healthcare especially or working in new environments), the 1st month is literally training / getting acclimatised to the new environment. If you have no induction training, your like a headless chicken running a maze

No employer would let you start a job and immediately use up your entire annual leave entitlement. Nor would they let you miss an induction period like that. It's not a decision that needs making, the person wouldn't get the job in those circumstances. Your friend needs to understand better how employment works!
Original post by threeportdrift
No employer would let you start a job and immediately use up your entire annual leave entitlement. Nor would they let you miss an induction period like that. It's not a decision that needs making, the person wouldn't get the job in those circumstances. Your friend needs to understand better how employment works!

theyre not my friend... twas a counter staff trainee in a pharmacy I was locumming at last week and more or less told them the 2 options in the spoiler and that it's their choice at the end of the day (cant really follow up on it as I have no idea if I will be locumming there again / when...by which time said person will be gone)
If you tell them you have a long notice period of 4 weeks and they still offer you the role, then that's fine. But I generally wouldn't expect to be given a job and then telling them that I'm off for a month to go down particularly well. As long as you're quite reasonable with your friend but also realistic, the advice will be good.
I’d still apply, but make sure the employer knew the situation. The start date isn’t always fixed, they might be able to push it back!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending