The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medicine vs Aberdeen Medicine

I'm lucky enough to have received offers for medicine from the above two unis.
Can anyone give me some pros and cons for them both or even just one of them? It would help me a lot and I'd really appreciate it. Anything, even the small things will help with my decision.
Also if there are current students at these unis, what are your opinions of them?

Hi there, have a look at the pros of each Aberdeen university here!

Why Aberdeen University?
Intercalation: Students usually take the degree at the end of Year 3, leaving to go into the BSc at the start of Year 4. However intercalating after Year 4 is also an option
Early Patient Contact: Early patient contact is an extremely important feature of their teaching programme, particularly in the early years of the curriculum. Patient Partners - A safe and controlled environment in which our students can practise their newly acquired skills.
Whole Body Dissection: Also a dedicated team of teaching fellows in anatomy alongside traditional lecturers and professors to deliver anatomy teaching.
SSCs: Student Selective Components (SSCs) aim to address some of the key, non-academic elements in medical education, such as establishing a foundation for lifelong learning. It can be on lots of topics such as tropical disease, reproduction and metabolism.

Potential Stations
Preparation for Entry into Medicine: You may be asked to discuss the research you have undertaken into the curriculum and postgraduate training. You should also display the implications of a medical career.
Work Experience: You could be asked to outline what you have learned from your work experience
Skills Reflection: You could be asked to discuss the skills you have gained and abilities you are looking to acquire
Problem Solving: You may be asked to consider a new situation and discuss your thoughts to it and suggest a solution to the problem, Responsibility: You may be asked to consider the potential contribution you will have to the case of others 7m per station, lasts 1h in total

MMI Skills Tested
Communication: Candidates ability to express ideas freely and coherently
Intuition: How well they use their own knowledge to formulate answers to situations they are unaware of
Decision Making: Ensure you are able to give an argument which is reasoned and can form an opinion based on it, rather than sitting on the fence
Preparation: You will be assessed on whether you have rehearsed answers for questions, but also that you have prepared well for the interview
Balanced Views: Ensure you understand both advantages and disadvantages of a situation and problem
Motivation: Demonstrate that you have the correct commitment and passion for a career in medicine while also displaying sensitivity and reflection to the situation

Best of luck in making your decision! If you have any further questions, please let us know!

Dhaval N - Medic Mind Tutor

ACW Best Medical Startup 2017

www.medicmind.co.uk/interview
Original post by AzureCeleste
Can anyone give me some pros and cons for them both or even just one of them? It would help me a lot and I'd really appreciate it. Anything, even the small things will help with my decision.
Also if there are current students at these unis, what are your opinions of them?
Have you visited the universities? If you're still not sure another trip might be worth it if it's not far from you, just getting a sense of the atmosphere of the place can make you really feel like you WANT to be there or not.

Spoiler

Original post by 04MR17
Have you visited the universities? If you're still not sure another trip might be worth it if it's not far from you, just getting a sense of the atmosphere of the place can make you really feel like you WANT to be there or not.

Spoiler

Thanks :smile: I have visited both of them and like the atmosphere of them both so I'm struggling to narrow down from that
Original post by Medic Mind

Hi there, have a look at the pros of each Aberdeen university here!

Why Aberdeen University?
Intercalation: Students usually take the degree at the end of Year 3, leaving to go into the BSc at the start of Year 4. However intercalating after Year 4 is also an option
Early Patient Contact: Early patient contact is an extremely important feature of their teaching programme, particularly in the early years of the curriculum. Patient Partners - A safe and controlled environment in which our students can practise their newly acquired skills.
Whole Body Dissection: Also a dedicated team of teaching fellows in anatomy alongside traditional lecturers and professors to deliver anatomy teaching.
SSCs: Student Selective Components (SSCs) aim to address some of the key, non-academic elements in medical education, such as establishing a foundation for lifelong learning. It can be on lots of topics such as tropical disease, reproduction and metabolism.

Potential Stations
Preparation for Entry into Medicine: You may be asked to discuss the research you have undertaken into the curriculum and postgraduate training. You should also display the implications of a medical career.
Work Experience: You could be asked to outline what you have learned from your work experience
Skills Reflection: You could be asked to discuss the skills you have gained and abilities you are looking to acquire
Problem Solving: You may be asked to consider a new situation and discuss your thoughts to it and suggest a solution to the problem, Responsibility: You may be asked to consider the potential contribution you will have to the case of others 7m per station, lasts 1h in total

MMI Skills Tested
Communication: Candidates ability to express ideas freely and coherently
Intuition: How well they use their own knowledge to formulate answers to situations they are unaware of
Decision Making: Ensure you are able to give an argument which is reasoned and can form an opinion based on it, rather than sitting on the fence
Preparation: You will be assessed on whether you have rehearsed answers for questions, but also that you have prepared well for the interview
Balanced Views: Ensure you understand both advantages and disadvantages of a situation and problem
Motivation: Demonstrate that you have the correct commitment and passion for a career in medicine while also displaying sensitivity and reflection to the situation

Best of luck in making your decision! If you have any further questions, please let us know!

Dhaval N - Medic Mind Tutor

ACW Best Medical Startup 2017

www.medicmind.co.uk/interview

Thanks this is really useful. Do you have something similair to this for Edinburgh?
I would choose Edinburgh.
Original post by Okorange
I would choose Edinburgh.

For what reasons?
For what reasons?

The medical school has so much history, the school and city are so beautiful, the students score higher on the MRCP pt 1 and the school is well known and respected internationally to boot.

Hi,
Congrats on both your offers!
Are you a Scottish applicant? If so then you should probably decide whether you want to live close to home or further away .
If you’re not then I guess distance wouldn’t be a factor.
I’m going to be applying for medicine for both these universities this year and Edinburgh would be my top choice, mainly because I really don’t want to move cities (I’ve literally been moving all my life) . Also, from what I’ve heard, Edinburgh allows for great opportunities for research which is something I want to pursue as well. It’s compulsory to complete an intercalated year in Edinburgh so that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on whether you want to add on an extra year to the course to gain another degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending