HMRC Higher Officer Compliance Caseworker (Belfast) Watch

Rmcsk
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zoedmc)
Thank you fingers crossed 🙏🏽

If a lot of people apply and meet the required standard the competency will be score, so do crap on that and it could rule you out
Oh goodness, I couldn’t even tell you what I wrote for my competency! Oh well only time will tell! Hopefully we will hear soon, but I’m not expecting to get an interview tbh!
greatbutton
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just missed a private phone call, I know they said online if they ring it will be a private number, just wondering if anyone else received a call? It could be from anyone as I've had my number for years and get a lot of spam calls but just thought it was a big coincidence
Loula32
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by greatbutton)
I just missed a private phone call, I know they said online if they ring it will be a private number, just wondering if anyone else received a call? It could be from anyone as I've had my number for years and get a lot of spam calls but just thought it was a big coincidence
Ohhhh interesting! I have not had any withheld phone calls today. Ha s your status in the application centre updated? Mine is still on hold.
greatbutton
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Loula32)
Ohhhh interesting! I have not had any withheld phone calls today. Ha s your status in the application centre updated? Mine is still on hold.
Still on hold there so thinking maybe it was just a coincidence, wish I had of been able to answer it so I could stop wondering lol
Cass1988
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should hear by email for the interviews I think. Application will update.

Interviews start on the 18th so next week. They have to give you 5 days notice so first people being invited will hear today and think it all goes on merit order.
greatbutton
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cass1988)
You should hear by email for the interviews I think. Application will update.

Interviews start on the 18th so next week. They have to give you 5 days notice so first people being invited will hear today and think it all goes on merit order.
How do you know this? Do you think there is a possibility that was them ringing me earlier? Even if my thing hasn't updated?
mimsyborogrove
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tom the student)
In order to score well in the SJT you need to study the competencies. Unless you already know them well, making a ‘rational’ decision based on your own judgement doesn’t seem to cut it. This seems to burn particularly those who are already in work and are putting their experience into practice.
On the Civil Service Competency Framework document, it lists Effective and Ineffective criteria for each Level (Level 2 for EO and Level 3 for HEO) and if you refer to that whilst doing it, you will score highly. If you have this open, you can usually work out which competency or competencies each scenario is focussing on and rank the options based on what the document lists as Effective and Ineffective behaviours. For example the Making effective decisions and Collaborating and Partnering focuses quite heavy on drawing conclusions from a wide range of sources and valuing each and every contribution and work someone does without taking credit for it. This translates as trying to work with as many people as possible even when this could take longer or be an unpopular decision with others. Delivering at pace focusses on addressing poor performance face-on and not letting it drag your team down. In the responses then if someone is performing poorly in your team, monitoring them over the next few weeks would be ineffective as it isn’t addressing it face-on even though by doing so you could be preserving relationships or using current experience in doing this.

It really is all in the competencies and what their own documentation sets out about what’s expected from them.

I hope this helps!

I think you totally nailed this! I scored 86 when I applied for the TSP (bombed the assessment centre tho). A couple of people who got through to the final stage applied for these posts as a back-up, and dropped 50-60 percentile points on the CSJT. I took this as a warning against complacency, so I re-studied the competencies before taking the test again, and managed to up my score to 98. It really is about how your answer choices reflect the CS competency framework.
Cass1988
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by greatbutton)
How do you know this? Do you think there is a possibility that was them ringing me earlier? Even if my thing hasn't updated?
One of my managers let me know they are starting then. Don't know if they call to be honest or not sorry. Should come up on the page saying invited to interview or something.
Rmcsk
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do we get an email to say if our status has updated or do we need to keep checking?
ksq
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rmcsk)
Do we get an email to say if our status has updated or do we need to keep checking?
you'll receive an email notification in synch with the update on your civilservice account. Good luck
greatbutton
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cass1988)
One of my managers let me know they are starting then. Don't know if they call to be honest or not sorry. Should come up on the page saying invited to interview or something.
Thanks for the info! Do you work for hrmc then?
Rmcsk
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ksq)
you'll receive an email notification in synch with the update on your civilservice account. Good luck
Thanks! Not holding my breath tbh but would just like to know if I am unsuccessful! Good luck to you too
Pmakgreb
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mimsyborogrove)
I think you totally nailed this! I scored 86 when I applied for the TSP (bombed the assessment centre tho). A couple of people who got through to the final stage applied for these posts as a back-up, and dropped 50-60 percentile points on the CSJT. I took this as a warning against complacency, so I re-studied the competencies before taking the test again, and managed to up my score to 98. It really is about how your answer choices reflect the CS competency framework.
This demonstrates why the CSJT is flawed. By simply studying the framework you can improve your score. So in essence you are being scored on your understanding of the competencies. You could pick the correct course of action you know the assessor is looking for rather than what you would do in that situation. Competencies should be assessed at interview stage only where you give examples of how you meet a competency. Id be disappointed if I scored high in the other test and had excellent competency example but didn’t get an interview because I didn’t score high score in the CSJT.
newcomer2016
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got a score of 76% on the SJT which isn't the best but I would says its a least average, however looking at the feedback report i got above average in making effective decisions, below average for leading and communicating as well as collaboratig & partnering, then got average for delivering at pace. The breakdown of the competencies don't seem to reflect that actual score?
Anisablue
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pmakgreb)
This demonstrates why the CSJT is flawed. By simply studying the framework you can improve your score. So in essence you are being scored on your understanding of the competencies. You could pick the correct course of action you know the assessor is looking for rather than what you would do in that situation. Competencies should be assessed at interview stage only where you give examples of how you meet a competency. Id be disappointed if I scored high in the other test and had excellent competency example but didn’t get an interview because I didn’t score high score in the CSJT.
Totally agree i only got 42%
mimsyborogrove
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pmakgreb)
I don't think it is flawed. The point of the competencies isn't to help people to pass tests, it's a framework of effective behaviours for working in the civil service. That's why we're assessed against them. If you apply for any job, with any employer, they want someone who can demonstrate they can work in the ways that the company/business considers to be best suited to the role. If you deviate from this wildly, you're going to be a less attractive candidate than someone who ticks all the boxes. I think the competencies are really helpful, especially the examples of what is not an effective behaviour.
Pmakgreb
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think it is flawed. The point of the competencies isn't to help people to pass tests, it's a framework of effective behaviours for working in the civil service. That's why we're assessed against them. If you apply for any job, with any employer, they want someone who can demonstrate they can work in the ways that the company/business considers to be best suited to the role. If you deviate from this wildly, you're going to be a less attractive candidate than someone who ticks all the boxes. I think the competencies are really helpful, especially the examples of what is not an effective behaviour.
I agree with competencies. My point is someone who can’t deliver at pace or make effective decisions can score highly in this test by simply choosing what they think is the correct action. Not necessarily what they would do in that given situation.
Loula32
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has anyone heard either way if they are through to interview or not?
Anisablue
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No still on hold.i also applied for home office asylum case worker been 2weeks since closing date still waiting to see if i get an interview.hate the wait lol
ksq
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He means that the format is flawed for the simple reason that in order to score highly, any person who studies the competency framework in good detail, he may strategically pass the SJT by merely matching the appropriate responses fitted to each scenario, as prescribed by the framework. The reason this is flawed is quite clear. The test is no longer judging a persons true situational awareness. The person who has simply passed by learning the framework may not necessarily possess the situational awareness reflected in his high scores, but the score merely reflects his correctness to matching up his responses to the framework.

The simple point is, it's quite easy to score high on these tests simply by learning the formula, which defeats the purpose of the test. I suspect there will be numerous talented individuals with exceptional competencies, who may have been unfairly filtered out of the process, and not so talented individuals who got through simply by knowing the right responses, which may not necessarily reflect their actual true self.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (51)
22.27%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (78)
34.06%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (48)
20.96%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (20)
8.73%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
13.97%

Watched Threads