VM477 - Motion to Uphold Freedom of Speech in the United Kingdom

Watch
Poll: Do you agree with this motion?
As many as are of that opinion, Aye (27)
57.45%
On the contrary, No (12)
25.53%
Abstain (8)
17.02%
This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
M477 - Motion to Uphold Freedom of Speech in the United Kingdom, TSR National Conservative PartyThis House believes that Freedom of Speech should be upheld in the United Kingdom;

Hence, this House urges the Government to revoke the bans on: Lauren Southern, Brittany Pettibone, and Martin Sellner, from entering the country, and to issue a formal apology for the mistreatment of law-abiding visitors seeking to exercise what should be the fundamental British principle of Freedom of Speech.

Lauren Southern was unjustly detained under the Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act and was allegedly unjustly denied the right to remain silent and the right to a lawyer, even though she did not commit any crime.

Brittany Pettibone and Martin Sellner were detained for three days in detention centres with dangerous criminals, even though the two did not commit any crime. They were detained for an unnecessary amount of time before being deported, even when there were plenty of flights available for them to be deported on. Brittany Pettibone also alleged that she was handcuffed as she was taken through the airport, even when it was clear that she posed no threat of violence or escape.

Thus, this House urges the Government to review its practices to ensure that valuable resources are not wasted on needlessly detaining and deporting law-abiding visitors, and that it should instead focus resources on deporting actual criminals such as illegal workers, who in many cases fail to be deported because they are not held in detention centres after capture and abscond as a result. This House also reminds the Government that the Terrorism Act should only be used on those who pose a terrorist threat, such as the radical Imams who are allowed to preach violence without being stopped, instead of charging and detaining law-abding individuals who oppose terrorism.

This House further urges the Government to correct its wrongdoings, demonstrate that the UK upholds freedom of speech, and demonstrate its sincerity by inviting Lauren Southern, Brittany Pettibone, and Martin Sellner to the Parliament of the United Kingdom to speak and inform MPs about their mistreatment, so that the current flawed practices can be corrected.
Unown Uzer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye!
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nope
WobblyBovine
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The poll is multi choice.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
While I strongly disapprove of these people I do believe in freedom of speech, so it has to be an aye.

Also DayneD89 fix the poll please
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was torn between abstaining or voting aye. I've decided on aye.

It was an interesting discussion, but it felt like a convincing case was not put forward to justify voting against the motion (or abstaining). The legal inconsistencies with these cases and the broader concerns which stem from it just seemed to become more apparent as the discussion went on, if anything.

Freedom of speech should prevail. Aye.
The PoliticalGuy
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In light of new information that indeed these "activists" were not racist, the government must correct their wrongdoings

It's an aye from me.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, of course. What they've just done to Lauren is completely preposterous.
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, these people are by no means terrorists
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've abstained. Can I suggest that anyone who votes for multiple options have their votes disregarded unless they clarify by the deadline?
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, for the reasons outlined in debate. It is non-sensical to single out the people named in the motion.
robc2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye!
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Abstain, of course.
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Abstain, of course.
04MR.ABSTAIN when?xD
username257785
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay, the home off thinks there characters should come to the UK subject to the law and I support that policy at this time.
TheEnchantress
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it!

Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads