Kurapikachu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey can someone please why mould naturally produces antibiotics. It can be really short like two sentences. Thanks!
ErwinRommel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
mould is a fungus we are related to fungus so they have the same pathogens that effect us,therefore we can use what mould does to defend itself and put it in our bodies for the same effect.
LarissaAlves
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Got this from the internet...

A unique characteristic of Penicillium species is their capacity to survive at low temperatures. The growth rate of Penicillium is greatly reduced, but not to the extent of its competition, so as the temperature rises the Penicillium is able to rapidly grow over new areas. However, this period of initial growth can be slowed by the presence of other, competing microorganisms. Most molds will have been killed by the cold, but various bacteria may still be present. By releasing a chemical into the environment capable of destroying these bacteria, the competition is removed and growth of the Penicillium can carry on. This bacteria killing chemical is what we now recognize as penicillin. The anti-bacterial qualities of penicillin were originally discovered in 1929 by Sir Sanford Fleming.

Read more: Mold - Beneficial molds history - Production, Penicillium, Aflatoxin, and Grow - JRank Articles http://science.jrank.org/pages/4396/...#ixzz5Ay8Y9Dip
Kurapikachu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Omg thanks guys:d!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
56.79%
I don't have everything I need (194)
43.21%

Watched Threads