The Student Room Group

Is Gap Medics a worthwhile experience?

I have heard loads about GapMedics work experience placements abroad and am considering booking one for this summer. I am hoping to apply for medicine this October and am wondering if this opportunity could add something to my PS or interview?

I know they are expensive and lots of people say universities don't value 'bought' experience however I have already completed a week in a hospital, have been volunteering regularly at a carehome and have attended several medical public lectures in my area and I thought it could be an extra thing to add?

It would be great to hear from students that have been on GapMedics/something similar and see what you think?!
Original post by priya.ubhi
I have heard loads about GapMedics work experience placements abroad and am considering booking one for this summer. I am hoping to apply for medicine this October and am wondering if this opportunity could add something to my PS or interview?

I know they are expensive and lots of people say universities don't value 'bought' experience however I have already completed a week in a hospital, have been volunteering regularly at a carehome and have attended several medical public lectures in my area and I thought it could be an extra thing to add?

It would be great to hear from students that have been on GapMedics/something similar and see what you think?!

There's loads else you can do without having to pay for it and if you can't do a placement abroad it's not the end of the world.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
There's loads else you can do without having to pay for it and if you can't do a placement abroad it's not the end of the world.

Thanks, just wondering if it could be useful/ what it's like?
I have been taken in by all the glossy photos and videos but wanted some honest opinions as well!

Latest