Failed Masters. Extremely Depressed. Please Help?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
onetwothreenine
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've failed my masters basically.

Decent uni.

Failed a module worth 20 credits.

Can't retake the module.

I had hopes for further STEM oriented academic studies. No chance now I suppose.

Low 2:1 in BSc. Dissertation was the only thing that carried my grades up, got 76%.

I'm extremely depressed. Want to end it all if you know what I mean.

I'm here because I want to know if there is anything I can do to redeem myself before I completely give up. Extremely grateful for any advice.

I don't believe there's a change anybody would want to take me on for a PhD with my poor academic record. But this is my ultimate dream. If there's one thing about me, I'm decent when it comes to research.

Parents are getting tired of me. I have no job of any kind and they're well within their right to be angry with me. I'm a leech. If i'm honest I'm afraid that nobody would want to take me on for any kind of job, thus I'm scared to apply. I don't have much redeeming qualities. Poor social/communication skills.

I'm 23.

Thanks again
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by onetwothreenine)

Decent uni.

Can't retake the module.

I had hopes for further STEM oriented academic studies. No chance now I suppose.

Low 2:1 in BSc. Dissertation was the only thing that carried my grades up, got 76%.

I'm here because I want to know if there is anything I can do to redeem myself before I completely give up. Extremely grateful for any advice.

I don't believe there's a change anybody would want to take me on for a PhD with my poor academic record. But this is my ultimate dream. If there's one thing about me, I'm decent when it comes to research.

Parents are getting tired of me. I have no job of any kind and they're well within their right to be angry with me. I'm a leech. If i'm honest I'm afraid that nobody would want to take me on for any kind of job, thus I'm scared to apply. I don't have much redeeming qualities. Poor social/communication skills.

I'm 23.

Thanks again
If you've done your dissertation and done well then one module isn't going to make you fail your masters. Why can't you retake? You can try getting a job and working your way up and come back to a PhD later. It's not the end of the world.
onetwothreenine
Rep:
(Original post by alleycat393)
If you've done your dissertation and done well then one module isn't going to make you fail your masters. Why can't you retake? You can try getting a job and working your way up and come back to a PhD later. It's not the end of the world.
Thanks very much for your reply.

Unfortunately, if you fail a module at our university, you fail the entire masters and get awarded a PGDip.

I've already retaken the exam. Still failed. Can't retake a module.

I honestly don't even want pursue research based on the masters I have.

But I've wasted a good £10,000 (with a loan), I can't get another opportunity like that. So pathetic.

I'd love to get a job, but who would want me? I don't know where to start.
alleycat393
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thanks very much for your reply.

Unfortunately, if you fail a module at our university, you fail the entire masters and get awarded a PGDip.

I've already retaken the exam. Still failed. Can't retake a module.

I honestly don't even want pursue research based on the masters I have.

But I've wasted a good £10,000 (with a loan), I can't get another opportunity like that. So pathetic.

I'd love to get a job, but who would want me? I don't know where to start.
Ah I see if you have retaken and failed then it makes sense, Unfortunately there isn't much else you can do. With the PGDip you may be able to top it up at a later point. Most jobs don't need a specific masters or even a masters so apply for those. Good luck!
06moca1
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Decent uni.

Can't retake the module.

I'm 23.

Thanks again
Can't you apply to a PhD directly and say you took a year out and not mention your master's attempt?
alleycat393
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 06moca1)
Can't you apply to a PhD directly and say you took a year out and not mention your master's attempt?
Never a good idea to lie or withhold info on a uni application
06moca1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Never a good idea to lie or withhold info on an application
I disagree. I heard of one story which my sixth form teacher told me. One lab technician was really good at his job so he got offered to train as a teacher. Turns out he withheld his PhD on his CV because he couldn't find a job. There are other examples of people withholding qualifications from their CVs.
In terms of UCAS, they have rules about withholding information but this isn't UCAS.
alleycat393
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I disagree. I heard of one story which my sixth form teacher told me. One lab technician was really good at his job so he got offered to train as a teacher. Turns out he withheld his PhD on his CV because he couldn't find a job. There are other examples of people withholding qualifications from their CVs.
In terms of UCAS, they have rules about withholding information but this isn't UCAS.
CV is one thing. Yes you’d remove irrelevant or unnecessary things. An application to a uni is another. They ask for all your qualifications and witholding one can result in losing your offer. Especially if it’s dire rly relevant and an indicator of your academic ability in the field. Fact. Doesn't matter if you agree or not.
username3079870
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Decent uni.

Can't retake the module.

I'm 23.

Thanks again
What was your degree/masters in?

2 points about PhD in STEM subjects:

1) Your PhD application, they will look pretty hard at your masters dissertation above everything else, as that is what will most closely replicate the work you have to do on a PhD

2) In certain STEM areas, they have more vacancies than applicants. I know for a fact of one RG university that had 4 applications for a total of 9 PhD positions this year because the the field they were in. Many undergrads and masters students a job is more appealing and better paid.
06moca1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
CV is one thing. An application to a uni is another. They ask for all your qualifications and witholding one can result in losing your offer. Fact. Doesn't matter if you agree or not.
An application for a PhD is like a job application. Nothing like a UCAS application. Have you actually ever applied for a PhD?
trou_noir
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
so you came out of it with a PGDip which is still worth something.

you presumably have a STEM related undergraduate degree?

you got 76% on your dissertation - no mean feat

and you have a 2:1

absolutely not the end of the world. not even close!

if you feel you lack social skills your first step is to improve those. but ime many shy, anxious or introverted people think their social skills are worse than they are because they lack confidence. to do well in research social skills help anyway. and most crucially social skills arent something you have or you don’t. you can work in them and they can improve with practice.

there’s lots of places in industry that you can do research in even if you don’t do a PhD, and some of those will allow you to do a PhD or further study as part of your job role.

you failed a module - ok. but that’s the only thing you «*failed*». you’re only 23. you have so much of your life ahead of you to build ok what you’ve done, develop and find another way to achieve what you want.
onetwothreenine
Rep:
(Original post by jestersnow)
What was your degree/masters in?

2 points about PhD in STEM subjects:

1) Your PhD application, they will look pretty hard at your masters dissertation above everything else, as that is what will most closely replicate the work you have to do on a PhD

2) In certain STEM areas, they have more vacancies than applicants. I know for a fact of one RG university that had 4 applications for a total of 9 PhD positions this year because the the field they were in. Many undergrads and masters students a job is more appealing and better paid.
Thank you for your reply.

-BSc Biology
-MSc Bioinformatics (PGDip now considering my circumstances).

I didn't think about the vacancy/applicant ratio for PhD's! I bet the life sciences is quite competitive?

I was also prepared to self-fund to reduce chances of competition, but I'm not sure how effective this may be. Plus I'll be agreeing to pay back more money I likely won't be able to afford.
alleycat393
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
An application for a PhD is like a job application. Nothing like a UCAS application. Have you actually ever applied for a PhD?
Oh hun! Maybe you need to do a bit of research first. And read my signature will tell you about my background. Yes I’ve applied for, secured an offer or a few and completed a Phd and work for a uni
onetwothreenine
Rep:
(Original post by trou_noir)
so you came out of it with a PGDip which is still worth something.

you presumably have a STEM related undergraduate degree?

you got 76% on your dissertation - no mean feat

and you have a 2:1

absolutely not the end of the world. not even close!

if you feel you lack social skills your first step is to improve those. but ime many shy, anxious or introverted people think their social skills are worse than they are because they lack confidence. to do well in research social skills help anyway. and most crucially social skills arent something you have or you don’t. you can work in them and they can improve with practice.

there’s lots of places in industry that you can do research in even if you don’t do a PhD, and some of those will allow you to do a PhD or further study as part of your job role.

you failed a module - ok. but that’s the only thing you «*failed*». you’re only 23. you have so much of your life ahead of you to build ok what you’ve done, develop and find another way to achieve what you want.
Thanks, your motivational reply means a lot

Although I feel like I really don't deserve it actually.

I guess the overall message from these comments is to keep looking, for a job/PhD. So, I'll do just that.

Thanks again.
username3079870
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thank you for your reply.

-BSc Biology
-MSc Bioinformatics (PGDip now considering my circumstances).

I didn't think about the vacancy/applicant ratio for PhD's! I bet the life sciences is quite competitive?

I was also prepared to self-fund to reduce chances of competition, but I'm not sure how effective this may be. Plus I'll be agreeing to pay back more money I likely won't be able to afford.
Not so much, as a lot of bio grads get good jobs in the health service or for large pharmaceutical companies. What research areas interest you? And would you consider any UK uni?
onetwothreenine
Rep:
(Original post by jestersnow)
Not so much, as a lot of bio grads get good jobs in the health service or for large pharmaceutical companies. What research areas interest you? And would you consider any UK uni?
I didn't realise that. How do you know this if you don't mind me asking? You seem pretty well-informed on this stuff. Definitely appreciated though.

I would consider any UK uni, any European uni at all actually. It's just a matter of whether they'd consider me I suppose.

I'm mostly interested in Microbiology/Cell biology/Plant Sciences.
Anagogic
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
What about the academic references you'd need to obtain to support your application...
username3079870
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I didn't realise that. How do you know this if you don't mind me asking? You seem pretty well-informed on this stuff. Definitely appreciated though.

I would consider any UK uni, any European uni at all actually. It's just a matter of whether they'd consider me I suppose.

I did a masters at a RG university and some of my classmates are now PhD students and they are privy to a lot of what goes on in the department. I also have a few contacts in my other old uni that say they are looking for some PhD students and are struggling to get applicants due to geographical restrictions. Do you mind saying where you did you degree and masters?
username3079870
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Would you mind if I dropped you a PM about this??
Analyst89
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
You got a 2.1 in your first degree, it's not the end of the world my friend.

You got a good degree which will open up a lot of doors for you in other fields too.

Good luck
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (27)
35.53%
The paper was reasonable (27)
35.53%
Not feeling great about that exam... (15)
19.74%
It was TERRIBLE (7)
9.21%

Watched Threads