Yatayyat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How do I answer this question?

a) A rugby player is aiming for a conversion. He kicks the ball at 15ms−1 at an angle of 50∘ to the horizontal. At the time, he is 20m from the posts. How much time will the ball take to reach the posts?

b) How high will the ball be when it reaches the posts?

I've been struggling on this question for ages. So any answers and help would be really helpful...
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(assuming no air resistance)

use trig to get the horizontal component of the initial velocity... this will get you the time to reach the posts v=s/t

use trig to get the vertical component of the initial velocity
then use suvat with acceleration = g to get the vertical displacement of the ball after the time you found in the earlier section
Yatayyat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)

use trig to get the horizontal component of the initial velocity... this will get you the time to reach the posts v=s/t

then use suvat with acceleration = g to get the vertical displacement of the ball after the time you found in the earlier section
Okay, so calculating the horizontal component of V gives '9.6418.. m/s' which then gives a a time of 2.074 s from '20/9.6418'

Then moving onto part b, I calculated the the vertical component of V which is '11.49 m/s'.

Subbing all this into the suvat equation of 's = ut + at^2 and using the value of time from the earlier part along with '11.49 m/s' gives an answer of 2.8 to 1dp.
Yatayyat
Rep:
?

One other Q I have is how would you do this too?

A cricket batsman hits a ball at a speed of 27m/s at an angle of 60 degrees to the horizontal. How far would you have to stand in order to catch it (assuming you have to catch it before it hits the ground)?

How would I attempt this one since I don't know time or dist???
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Yatayyat)
One other Q I have is how would you do this too?

A cricket batsman hits a ball at a speed of 27m/s at an angle of 60 degrees to the horizontal. How far would you have to stand in order to catch it (assuming you have to catch it before it hits the ground)?

How would I attempt this one since I don't know time or dist???
well you still need to find t (common theme to this type of question)

this time around you'd look at the vertical component of velocity first & find the the time(s) taken for the ball to reach 'catching height'. if you assume the batsman hits the ball at knee height and the fielder catches the ball at chest height then there might be a couple of solutions - one with the ball still on it's way up to the maximum height and one with the ball on it's way back down again.

the first case would correspond to the wicket-keeper making a quick reaction catch close to the batsman and the second case to a more conventional catch in wide field.

you'd use the time (s) and the horizontal component of velocity to find the distance horizontally.
lyds01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
well you still need to find t (common theme to this type of question)

this time around you'd look at the vertical component of velocity first & find the the time(s) taken for the ball to reach 'catching height'. if you assume the batsman hits the ball at knee height and the fielder catches the ball at chest height then there might be a couple of solutions - one with the ball still on it's way up to the maximum height and one with the ball on it's way back down again.

the first case would correspond to the wicket-keeper making a quick reaction catch close to the batsman and the second case to a more conventional catch in wide field.

you'd use the time (s) and the horizontal component of velocity to find the distance horizontally.
i used 1.5m as my vertical height but i got answer 63.45m. isaac physics accepts 64m. bit ambiguous.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lyds01)
i used 1.5m as my vertical height but i got answer 63.45m. isaac physics accepts 64m. bit ambiguous.
I guess the fielder would be able to stick an arm out by the 55cm
Hash.m
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Yatayyat)
Okay, so calculating the horizontal component of V gives '9.6418.. m/s' which then gives a a time of 2.074 s from '20/9.6418'

Then moving onto part b, I calculated the the vertical component of V which is '11.49 m/s'.

Subbing all this into the suvat equation of 's = ut + at^2 and using the value of time from the earlier part along with '11.49 m/s' gives an answer of 2.8 to 1dp.
why does s = ut + at^2 work but the actual suvat equation is 𝑠 = 𝑢t + (at^2)/2... what happened to the /2 part of the equation?
Lina_Amiour
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Quick question i know im super late but i just got set this question for homework - why do you use 1.5m as the vertical height, where did you get that from, if you dont mind me asking?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Lina_Amiour)
Quick question i know im super late but i just got set this question for homework - why do you use 1.5m as the vertical height, where did you get that from, if you dont mind me asking?
Where does the bat hit the ball?
Shogun1024
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
how did u get 2.8? I am not getting it. can you show your working, please?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (156)
55.12%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (41)
14.49%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
10.95%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.19%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise