The Student Room Group

thigh gap exercises?

Hi. So I’m not the skinniest person ever, and definitely don’t have a thigh gap. I do want to lose weight and have a thigh gap though for when I go on holiday so I can feel more confident in my shorts and bikinis. The problem is that I go on holiday in a month and a half, so I’m leaving it kind of late. I don’t know how much improvement can be made on thighs and overall weight in that amount of time, but if anyone has any suggestions such as exercises, sports, workout plans or anything please tell me. Thanks. :smile:

(P.s. I have wide hips so google says it is possible for me to get a thigh gap idk. Also, I do still feel happy with myself, and I don’t have many self-confidence issues, this is just for my personal benefit/happiness.)
Thigh gaps are mostly genetic. If you want to lose weight then you need to focus on diet firstly and foremostly. After that do high intensity exercises that utilise compound movements to maximise calorie burn,
You can't lose much weight in that time. And thigh gaps are genetic, wide hips isn't much to do with it, I have reasonably wide hips but have to be seriously underweight to have a thigh gap as my knees bend inwards a bit and I carry weight on my thighs. Losing weight will make a thigh gap more likely but for some people it happens at 130lbs for others 110lbs for others 90lbs. Exercise and eat healthy if you want but it's unlikely to help.
Don't lose weight for the wrong reasons. You should be aiming to improve your overall health, not for a thigh gap that practically no one will notice.
Reply 4
If it's just about getting a thigh gap there is a way to fake 1 using posture.Saw it on a bbc documentary recently I think it was something along the lines of Hayley:bodyconfidence or something like that.
How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? Also, what is your body shape (as in apple, pear, hourglass, ruler). Thigh gaps come from one of two things- genetics or being very underweight. Obviously the second of those is very unhealthy so would not recommend! If you're currently a healthy weight it is unlikely you will attain a thigh gap without making yourself underweight. If you are a pear shape or hold more weight on your lower body than the top then you will also struggle to get a thigh gap because your body will hold onto weight in your hips and thighs.

Honestly, why does it matter? It's a fad. One day thigh gaps are in, the next it's all about strong, curvy thighs...as long as you're healthy then you're fine and no one cares what your thighs look like (unless you have a nose growing out of your thighs in which case you may get a few stares). I will say that having thighs that don't touch isn't all that- you can't put anything on your lap without it falling right through!

You can't spot reduce, there are no specific exercises you can do to get a thigh gap. You'd need to lose a lot of weight all over. My advice is to focus on healthy eating and exercise to make your body strong and toned. That way it will be at it's best in a natural way. Some people look good with thigh gaps because that's how their bodies are made and they retain the gap even if they're not at a low weight. Some people look awful and emaciated with a thigh gap because it's not natural. Healthy wins every time.
Even when I weighed 80lbs I didn’t have a thigh gap.

I think you need to concentrate on just being healthy and learning to like yourself, this **** turns into obsession very fast.
No one cares if you have a thigh gap!

Original post by SophieSmall
Even when I weighed 80lbs I didn’t have a thigh gap.

I weight more than double you lol :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
No one cares if you have a thigh gap!

I weight more than double you lol :tongue:

I was underweight with eating problems at the time. Im 30lbs heavier now.
Original post by SophieSmall
I was underweight with eating problems at the time. Im 30lbs heavier now.

I'm 174 pounds at mo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending