Minimal polynomials and field extensions.

Watch
mollyjordansmith
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
We have been given that [M:Q]=4 and has assumed that there exists a u in M such that M=Q(u) and the minimal polynomial of u is of the form
X^4+aX^2+b with a and b in Q. We are trying to show there exists a field L such that Q ⊂ L ⊂ M and [L:Q]=2.

I have decided that there is a polynomial Y^2+aY+b which is monic, irreducible with u^2 being a root. I believe this is the root to proving the above statement but not sure how to get there. I think this is the minimal polynomial of a field extension but not quite sure what this field extension is.

Thank you in advance for any help given.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mollyjordansmith)
We have been given that [M:Q]=4 and has assumed that there exists a u in M such that M=Q(u) and the minimal polynomial of u is of the form
X^4+aX^2+b with a and b in Q. We are trying to show there exists a field L such that Q ⊂ L ⊂ M and [L:Q]=2.

I have decided that there is a polynomial Y^2+aY+b which is monic, irreducible with u^2 being a root. I believe this is the root to proving the above statement but not sure how to get there. I think this is the minimal polynomial of a field extension but not quite sure what this field extension is.

Thank you in advance for any help given.
Consider the roots of your polynomial Y.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (67)
17.77%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.65%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (142)
37.67%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.73%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.18%

Watched Threads