Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
There's been quite a few threads around asking specific questions about Higher History, so here's a thread for everyone doing the course this year to discuss the course, your assignment and the exam when it comes!

So, who is doing Higher History and which areas/topics are you studying? And how is your revision going?
Chacha145
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I’m also doing history this year.. We’re doing Britain and the USSR as our essay topics and for sources WW1. My revision is going badly but for the sources I just don’t know know what to do( how are you supposed to remember that many facts)!!
Bnaca
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing Higher History, and it's probably my strongest (but not favourite!) subject.
My Scottish source topic is the Treaty of Union, and my essay topics are Britain (reforms, democracy, right to vote etc) and America (immigration, New Deal, civil rights movement etc).
The only topic I'm semi-worried about is Britain because almost none of the essay questions interest me; only women getting the right to vote. The other topics I'm more or less fine with.
To be completely honest, this is my second year doing Higher History (lol!) because 5th year didn't go too well. Wasn't a knowledge thing, but rather a very stupid yet simple mistake that cost me the exam; basically, I know where I went wrong, and if anyone needs help with what to expect in the exam, or needs help with timing, the assignment etc, then lemme know!
Chacha145
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For your essays how do you get the E+ marks?
kierapotato
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Chacha145)
For your essays how do you get the E+ marks?
We've been told to basically add in a new piece of information relating to the paragraph which can show it from a different perspective.
cathsa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What's everyone's techniques for actually learning your essays? I've made essay plans but am struggling to learn them all! Thanks
Bnaca
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cathsa)
What's everyone's techniques for actually learning your essays? I've made essay plans but am struggling to learn them all! Thanks
Flashcards work quite well for essays, and work well in general. Being able to condense information to the point where you can fit the important info on a flashcard, is when you know you're learning the stuff. Then whenever you're out and about, on the bus, in a car etc, have the flashcards in your pocket and test yourself regularly.

Alternatively, colourful mindmaps work well because you can basically train your brain to associate different factors with specific colours.

Or instead, record yourself reading your essay plans, and play the audio while you fall asleep/are asleep/in the morning and throughout the day, if you know you're an audible learner.
ellie1964
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cathsa)
I make mindmaps with arrows for every factor and learn my introductions as two simple sentences for the background stuff. Then I just write it out again and again until it’s in my head - it’s pretty time consuming but it works for me. I know some people make flash cards for every factor and some people who have to speak what they’re going to say to remember it, it all comes down to your learning style. Hope this helps
kerilouise38
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which part of the paper does everyone do first? I never know whether to start with the essays or sources!
ellie1964
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kerilouise38)
Which part of the paper does everyone do first? I never know whether to start with the essays or sources!
Normally I do the essays first because I feel a bit better after they’re out of the way
ellie1964
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by duncan2000)
What does everyone predict will come up for the Germany or Britain topic? I think for Britain topic how democratic Britain was will come up as it hasn’t came up since 2015. For Germany I think obstacles to unification will come up as it has only came up once. Also think extent of nationalism will come up as it hasn’t came up since 2015. Good luck all!
I think the women’s suffrage essay is likely to come up with it being 100 years since women were granted the vote and I don’t think it’s appeared yet but don’t quote me on that!
Bnaca
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by duncan2000)
What does everyone predict will come up for the Germany or Britain topic? I think for Britain topic how democratic Britain was will come up as it hasn’t came up since 2015. For Germany I think obstacles to unification will come up as it has only came up once. Also think extent of nationalism will come up as it hasn’t came up since 2015. Good luck all!
Remember that we get a choice of 3 essays for each section. So as long as you remember 4 of the 6 topics, you're guaranteed to get at least one essay you can do!
cathsa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kerilouise38)
We got told to never do the essays first and always rack up marks in the sources section first. It seems entirely up to you- our teacher told us we have to decide whether we are going to look at the essay questions just before we start our source questions to put our minds at rest, however this may make some people more panicked if it's not the question they were wanting! Hope that helps
cathsa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ellie1964)
I make mindmaps with arrows for every factor and learn my introductions as two simple sentences for the background stuff. Then I just write it out again and again until it’s in my head - it’s pretty time consuming but it works for me. I know some people make flash cards for every factor and some people who have to speak what they’re going to say to remember it, it all comes down to your learning style. Hope this helps
Thanks for that, I'm finding it a struggle but looking forward to it all being over! I've learnt 5 of the 8 essays I have to learn so here's hoping I have enough time to learn the rest!
Blair100
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you need to mention dates of when reforms were passed to get the knowledge marks?
Bnaca
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Blair100)
Do you need to mention dates of when reforms were passed to get the knowledge marks?
If you're making a point about a particular reform, then yes. Otherwise it shows that you know what the act does, but not what the actual act is.
mikesalvator234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bnaca)
If you're making a point about a particular reform, then yes. Otherwise it shows that you know what the act does, but not what the actual act is.
My history teacher insisted it wouldn't matter as long as you give the correct name of the act and what the act does. He marks the exam every year and very few people actually give a year with the act. Basically, a description of the act is enough to gain the KU mark.
Bnaca
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mikesalvator234)
My history teacher insisted it wouldn't matter as long as you give the correct name of the act and what the act does. He marks the exam every year and very few people actually give a year with the act. Basically, a description of the act is enough to gain the KU mark.
Well we've always been told to provide the date as well to ensure you get the mark. Not all markers are as strict/lenient as each other.
duncan2000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bnaca)
Well we've always been told to provide the date as well to ensure you get the mark. Not all markers are as strict/lenient as each other.
That’s what my teacher told us. You are more likely to get KU mark for writing dates as if you just write down facts it doesn’t show you fully understand/knowledgable of topic issue
mikesalvator234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bnaca)
He's told us himself he's a harsh marker. He made it very clear adding the year would not make a difference. In fact, he said it looks much worse putting an incorrect date than no date
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads